Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default All this talk of 1885's and then my gun shop owner calls me about these.

I don't read magazines since "Small Caliber News" and "Precision Shooter" left the scene so I'm oblivious to a whole lot of new stuff out there.
Add that to my talking to my favorite Gun Shop owner about optics for my 1885 .22 Hornet. This guy knows I'm one a them sub .22 caliber weirdo's as well so he calls me and has one of his guys send me some pictures he thought I just might be interested in. Yeah, just "might be".
First an 1885 in .17M2, color case hardened action, octagon barrel, steel crescent butt plate and beings how it is used (but ya can't tell it he tells me) it already has mounts and rings. I like my .17 M2 and have lots of ammo for it.

Then another in a caliber I've never shot or even seen for that matter, the Winchester .17WSM. Spendy ammo, no mounts and rings but a really interesting cartridge.

"AAARRRRRR", who knew? Probably everyone but me. Sure was nice of him (really), good salesmanship but I know nothing of these, anyone shooting either of them? Real curious about group size, trigger pull etc.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Doug:

The only real way you'll know is go buy 'em and run some tests.
then let US know.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default Cooper

You've never shot a 17 wsm???😧 you need to by that one! You'll love the 17 WSM!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Default Been trying to find a 17WSM...

Very nice Doug,have found ammo for less than $10- a box 3000fps with a 20 grain bullet,no loading,what’s not to like
Didn’t know they made a 17M2 in the 1885,looks great for gophers
Matt
Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 AM

I encountered a similar situation about a year ago, LGS had both on consignment, the 17wsm with scope already mounted. I'd just purchased a MGM .17wsm barrel for my Encore so no interest there, the .17m2 is a favorite of mine so it came home.

Already has sighting equipment on it too...

So far only some 25 yard indoor work with it but it bugholes just as a good rimfire should at that distance, some warmer weather will hopefully lead to more usage.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

The 17WSM makes you wonder why all the fuss over the 17 HMR.......... The Winchester LoWall is sadly just one of two decent looking rifles available for the cartridge. Unless you can call the Savage "thing" a real rifle. I haven't been able to do that yet in my mind. The Savage low price that many tout as a bonus fits the design.

So........... I "settled" on two different models of Ruger 77's in 17 WSM that everyone knows are inaccurate. Except for mine.......... And weasil (Austin) has one that shoots really well also. I've been thinking about the Miroku LoWall 17 WSM, but haven't jumped just yet as having another LoWall has not been on my radar list of "needs" for the past few years either. Quien sabe........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-25-2019, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

Look like safe queens to me. I would question shooting any of them, first bump or scratch? Fine looking rigs, all of them.
Need a couple of rat jobs. No worries about dings or bumps. Use it as a crutch if needed.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

The 17 HMR is a more accurate cartridge That's why all the fuss! It out sells the WSM ten to one there's a reason for that ! Better long range accuracy!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Default All this talk about 1885's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
The 17 HMR is a more accurate cartridge That's why all the fuss! It out sells the WSM ten to one there's a reason for that ! Better long range accuracy!
So true. In comparing the two with friends that have the WSM, they might get 30 yards more range, but the accuracy is not near as good as my 17HMR. Then again that could be their eyesight/optics.. I will stick with the Hummer. Hundreds of squeeks know better than to show on the mounds. Bill K
Old 01-25-2019, 02:56 PM

montdoug, Roughly, what kinda prices are those beauty's selling for?