Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-13-2019, 12:37 AM

Default Cooper Arms Ohio?

Not long ago, when Tom (dogdown) and I were discussing the sale of his Cooper Phoenix to me, he mentioned something about Cooper and Ohio. I was a bit fuzzy on that. Lo and behold, I get the rifle from him today and there is a foreward from someone at Cooper in the 2008 brochure he included. I did not look at the signature enough to see if it was from Dan Cooper, or someone after him. It said something like "to all the people in Montana and Ohio". What is this Ohio connection? Is/was some of the work done in Ohio? I am in Ohio and had not heard about that. Tom is a great guy by the way. Besides being a standup guy on the sale, I enjoyed our interaction along the way.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 AM

I remember hearing something about Cooper wanting or thinking about opening a plant in Ohio but it didn't happen as far as I know.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Along about that time Cooper was struggling financially because of Dan Coopers's Obama debacle. He had made arrangements with a city in Ohio (which one I cannot remember) for some financial incentives to build a Cooper facility there, before any of it happened he sold out to Hugo Vivero the owner of Wilson barrels. The proposed facility never happened and there were never any Ohio Coopers built.

I had a rather heated discussion with Dan C. about his plan of moving the facility to Ohio. I told him in my opinion that moving there would hurt his business irreparably but he was so focused on the new source of funding he did not even want to discuss it. Cooper had already had one shareholder takeover and I believe he was facing another because of all the bad press the company got because of the Obama issue he created.

I am convinced that if Hugo had not purchased the company it would be in Ohio or broke.

drover
Old 06-13-2019, 04:14 PM

It was the Akron/Canton area in NE Ohio, if I remember right Dan had a friend there and Dan liked the area. I thought it was going the be a second plant for Cooper
Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Along about that time Cooper was struggling financially because of Dan Coopers's Obama debacle. He had made arrangements with a city in Ohio (which one I cannot remember) for some financial incentives to build a Cooper facility there, before any of it happened he sold out to Hugo Vivero the owner of Wilson barrels. The proposed facility never happened and there were never any Ohio Coopers built.

I had a rather heated discussion with Dan C. about his plan of moving the facility to Ohio. I told him in my opinion that moving there would hurt his business irreparably but he was so focused on the new source of funding he did not even want to discuss it. Cooper had already had one shareholder takeover and I believe he was facing another because of all the bad press the company got because of the Obama issue he created.

I am convinced that if Hugo had not purchased the company it would be in Ohio or broke.

drover
I am also convinced if the company was not sold that it would have gone under because of what Dan did. About that time, I had been getting interested in Cooper, then Dan pulled his hijinks. That soured me, and to be honest, I did not believe that the news of Dan's exit was more than a publicity stunt and that somehow he was still in the background. After a while, I figured out for certain that Dan was certainly gone. I then started buying some Coopers, but I lost a lot of time getting some because of what he did.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Jake View Post
It was the Akron/Canton area in NE Ohio, if I remember right Dan had a friend there and Dan liked the area. I thought it was going the be a second plant for Cooper
That is pretty much my area. I had not heard about this till dogdown texted me about it. He mentioned Todd Kindler. Todd is in Baltic, OH, not too far south/southwest of Canton, OH.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 PM

Default Cooper Arms

Danny is what made this transaction easy. He was always prompt with replies and easy to communicate with. We had a pretty good conversation going on about Coopers, quakes and fracking. I could tell he was particular about his guns and knew what he wanted. Really, he made it easy. After thinking about this sale, I realized that every firearm or firearm related item I have sold has been to members from Saubier. Always a great out come for me. Great forum.
Danny, may the pasture poodles of Ohio soon experience the crack of a Fireball.
To good shooting and fewer quakes.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

It's always good to hear good news and reports of
members dealing with each other and things turning
out like they should be.

Thanks Guys,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 AM

I had heard just a few months ago that Dan Cooper had planned to move a facility to the Canton Area. IMO that would have been awesome because it would have been less then a 20 minute drive for me to get there. I know Dan did some crazy stuff and had no idea how to run a business. But if you put all that aside every Cooper rifle I have owned has shot "LIGHTS OUT". The best one being a 20 VarTarg that will stack 10 round in darn near one hole. The second best being a 6.5 CM that I shot a .7" group with at 300 yards. I will continue to buy Cooper rifles as long as the funds don't dry up. And I can say, since I've bought my first Cooper rifle I don't even look at another brand.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I had heard just a few months ago that Dan Cooper had planned to move a facility to the Canton Area. IMO that would have been awesome because it would have been less then a 20 minute drive for me to get there. I know Dan did some crazy stuff and had no idea how to run a business. But if you put all that aside every Cooper rifle I have owned has shot "LIGHTS OUT". The best one being a 20 VarTarg that will stack 10 round in darn near one hole. The second best being a 6.5 CM that I shot a .7" group with at 300 yards. I will continue to buy Cooper rifles as long as the funds don't dry up. And I can say, since I've bought my first Cooper rifle I don't even look at another brand.
Yep, Dan C. knew how to hire good people and build good rifles.

drover