Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-05-2020, 08:01 PM

Default Tough 70-80gn projectile for 6mm TCU

Morning all,

The beaut 6mm TCU on a Tikka M55 is now built (promise to upload photos over weekend).

100 x Fire form are loaded and ready. Will head down to the property in the next few weeks and do that.

Trying to find a good stout 70-80 grain bullet that will work at TCU velocities for goats, pigs and the odd fallow deer.

Goats mostly, and the pigs usually don’t get too big.

Any advice? I’d like a few options so I can work up some nice accurate loads.

Majority of shots will be under 100 metres.

Cheers and stay safe. Iain
Old 11-05-2020, 11:44 PM

Your limited to Barnes TSS and Hornady GMX in the 80's. Speer has a soft point hunting bullet. I would think the Speer. I would think the Speer cup and core would perform very well at those velocities.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:12 AM

I have a 6x45 in a cooper, mostly I shoot the Serria 75gr hollow point at goats, small game ,and wallaby's I've tried the 80gr blitz, on a couple of Fallow deer and a few goats, and had limited penetration and big surface wound, Not recommended.
The 85gr Partion and 85gr Serria SBT, I've now shot a couple deer each, with good clean kills.
lots of good choices in the 85-87gr weight, I can push this weight to 2850 fps, you should do better with a TCU,

Last edited by southernman; 11-06-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:41 AM

I played with the 6TCU for years in pistol mode before I built a rifle in the same.

I don’t think your going to have a hard time finding a tough 6mm bullet, most are geared around 243 WW speeds. There were offerings of single shot pistol bullets that performed well, all of them discontinued to my knowledge.
A fair number of folks have found some of the varmint bullets to work as well at reduced velocities.

The 6TCU in a rifle is still a fair bit off of speeds of a 243. I wouldn’t rule out the V max, I would take a hard look at the Speer Gold Dot and if you find them, the Hot Core, which I used with good success. An email or call to Sierra should give you some usable feedback.

The heavy varmint bullet at the some what reduced speed I am betting would give good performance.

I am playing with a 65Grendel, reduced speed and velocity, one gent on YouTube has killed numerous hogs with the factory varmint loads with 90 grain Speer TNT. He does a great job at showing a necropsy. That being said, I don’t know if the 70 grain 6mm would work on edible game. I use the same bullet for prairie dogs at warp speed and it gives pretty good “lift” on the little critters.

Last edited by JSH; 11-06-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM

One of the Barnes bullets, as mentioned or check out the old stand by Nosler partition's. they work very well also.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:15 PM

I run 80 gr. Nosler BT bullets in mine and have taken several deer with then and have no complaints. If you can use 85 grain bullets, the Nosler partition would be my choice if you wanted more penetration. With BLC-2 you should get 2900 fps or more, or about the same as the original 250-3000 load.