Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 PM

Default Custom Sav. Super Striker finally up and running

This little rig had it's problems, but it's working GREAT now. Just need a bit more tweaking on the trigger and it'll be my go-to gun for this shoot (field course) www.moaguns.com

It's already my main coyote rig this year--

SSS/22-250/15" 8T McGowen/80 A-Max @ 2800/ NF 3.5-15x NP-R1 reticle. The ballistics program follows the trajectory to 700 yds. very well. Love the feeding on this rig with the VLD bullet. Works great.

Had to gouge out the stock pretty good to get the barrel to fit, but kept having accuracy issues. One day saw that the recoil lug was compressing the wood in the stock below it. Once that was relieved this rig drilled 'em into .5-.75 MOA with every load.

Do like the reticle (although i'm mostly a BDC tree-style reticle guy), and have had some fun reticle-rangefinding antelope and elk recently whilst coyote hunting with the nicely fine 1.0472" subtensions.

Also absolutely LOVING the Accu-shot monopods for most of my rigs--new addition as of this year. Works geat with the taller Harris bipod when prone shooting in conjunction with Darrell Holland's lightweight field bag. Fast setup and very stable.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Supporting Member

Can you maintain a sight picture when when you pull the trigger ? Nice looking varmit gun . Belly benchrest when hunting ?
If that picture is current it still looks like drought condition out there.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 AM

Yes sir--it is drought, drought, drought out here. Hasn't changed much in the last 10 yrs. or so. No on the sight picture. Shooting an SP with a rifle scope is a challenge, that's for sure...but doable. Buddy of mine had it tap him this past year, and he's shot 'em often enough. It only gets shot from prone when time allows. Usually it's shot from the sit.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:59 AM

Default Sweet rig Steve...

I really like your taste in equipment.Your pics always inspire me to build something.I've got a .473 bolt face XP-100 and a 6mm McGowen 12 twist
just waiting to be chambered to 6BR.Thinking that the 87 V-Max would work
out fairly well with a 16" barrel at our altitude.Curious if you have ever tried the 6BR in any of your pistols.
Matt
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Hey Matt, i don't have a 6BR, but i do have a 22 BR XP. I'll put up a pic. later today when i get home. I shoot the 60 gr. JLK Low Drag out of it, and it has a custom Leupold 24x BR scope that Wally Siebert converted to long eye relief. It has a 17-dot TK Lee reticle in it, and i put a Gene Davis Power booster on it that increases magnification a bit and shortens the eye relief to intermediate instead of long (the "long" as Wally alters it is too long for me from prone with a center-grip handgun). This rig is about the wierdest one i have i think.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Default I'd love to see a pic of it Steve...

I really like the 22BR and 22Dasher too.I want to use this McGowen
barrel in 6mm first as it was a very good shooter back when it was a rifle.
That gun fired a .057" five shot group with the 80grn Berger bullet at Aurora gun club.It had some safety
issues that caused me to take it apart and hold it in limbo till a H-S pistol
stock comes along.
Matt
Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 PM

Jeez, that sounds like a heckuva' shooter sir. I actually had a 6 BR XP, and rechambered it to 243 for a little more downrange performance for long-range coyotes, but it's now a safe queen, cause i just don't have enuf time to work up all these pistols now [married and all].

IF i were going to put another long-range single shot specialty pistol together again i'd take a closer look at the WSSM cases. I know they're supposed to be able to handle higher pressures well, and are capable of some great accuracy with some case prep. They're OAL with VLD's is perfect for the XP-length actions. Norm Johnson did a lot of work with them and found they shot just great for him. I just recently had Chuck McIntosh put together a 270 SAUM for me in an XP pistol with a 15" McGowen 8 twist mainly because i just couldn't think of any other chambering i really needed, since i have about all the calibers covered now in specialty pistols. Every time i get a build going i start to rethink it though, so...

Anyways here's a pic of that oddball--

Last edited by sshcoyote; 03-10-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Default Now that is an awesome pistol Steve...

I like every aspect of your pistol,the finish the barrel contour the fluting,
and the stock too.
Matt
Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Thks. Matt--You oughtta' consider coming out to our shoot in June at Rich Mertz MOA Long-Range Competition in Sundance, WY. It's becoming quite popular these days. http://www.moaguns.com/coldturkey.html

Last edited by sshcoyote; 03-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 AM

Default Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun Steve...

I have looked at that sight a few times and would love to go.
Not sure if I can get away from work then though.
I am going to see if I can get my pistol/barrel work underway in case though.
Matt