Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 AM

Default selling gun

The market is the market. What you paid for it years ago is irrelevant to what you should try to sell it for. You might get more or less.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:26 AM
Supporting Member

Default So....

.... by his logic, what would he have expected if someone had given you the rifle for free?
My gunsmith buddies have similar stories about customers wanting gun repairs or custom work.

My mentor Ken Lundquist and I were talking one day before getting lunch. A guy walked in to the shop and said: "I just need this much milled off down to here....."
Ken took the 1" part and looking at it said: "gee,...anybody with $50,000 worth of machinery ought to be able to do that in a jif."
Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 AM
Supporting Member

I use to worry about things like this (selling or buying) but one feller here taught me a lesson. It's not about what it's worth it's about what it's worth to me.

Oddly enough it has normally worked out well and I will tell you what I paid for it today because I'm not concerned if the buyer buys it or not.

If someone wants to play the lowball game I respectfully tell them I'm firm on my price and if they still try to go lower I pretty much end the conversation as politely as I can and try to remember to not put myself in a position to deal with that person again. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't play that game.

A while back a guy made me a very generous offer for a Marlin Cowboy after I told him what I paid for it which was a steel to begin with . I was feeling guilty about the offer and didn't want to take advantage of him but over the course of a year or so the off went from a generous trade on a NIB 17HM2 that I 'needed' and the cash I originally paid for it plus a nice stash of eley ammo. I figured if he wanted it that bad he deserved it so I counter offered him to give me less but wouldn't hear of it and made me take everything. Tom if your reading this I have Talley rings on that HM2 and a Vortex scope ready to break it in the spring! Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

I sold the gun for less than what I had in it, that wasn't what my rant was about. It was the fact that the person lead me to believe that he just wanted to see the receipt to see if I was the original owner and in case he ever had to send the Copper in for warranty work, which was weird. After showing the receipt is when he was beside himself that I paid 1,461.00 for the gun and wanted 1450.00 for it. That is what made me mad, he could have asked and I would have just told him. I do not have anything to hide, it was just the way he went about it. Sorry, for this post dragging out. And again, thanks to everyone.

Harmon
Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Can I drag this out just a little longer? Because, as we "speak", there's a thread going on in the classifieds over on longrangehunting.com that fits in with what's being talked about here:
Reading the thread by one's self can better give the gist than I can by explaining it. Has to do with a guy who sold several Remington LVSF rifles, and now a disgruntled possible - but probably not - potential buyer (who must have waited too long) wants to see all of the seller's p.m.'s from the buyers! This clown doesn't think the seller really sold the guns, and pulled them when he got "cold feet" - or something??? When a buyer posted that yes, he did buy a rifle from the seller, this screwball accused the buyer of lying!
Anyway, you have to read it for yourself. Get popcorn.

Fwiw, put me down as another one who saw Harmon's ad and thought what a good deal someone was getting. I considered buying it myself, but already have a wood one just like it (paid $1100 new several years ago and would have no qualms about selling it for the same $ as the less-shot Phoenîx); but I wanted to give someone who "needed" it more than I the first shot at it.

Last edited by RowdyYates; 03-17-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:15 AM
Supporting Member

Interesting. I PM'd the owner on another forum.

The add I replied to was a "gauging interest, no prices listed".
I PM'd the owner of the several LVSF's as I was interested in the 243, after my PM requesting a price he must have gotten enough interest to actually post the $1400 price.

I see on that website he quickly sold them, I guess I just assumed someone wanted them for his asking price, which seemed reasonable but more than I was willing to Jump on. I actually would rather have the stainless fluted 243 Model 7 with camo..... In case someone has one, lol

Yea, you can post but 22 Hornet might send you a PM, lol. He seems a little gruff.

Still not sure why folks post on a post they want to stop!!!! It reminds me of that white-skinny gal who yelled " stop the insanty", I think of her when folks get wound tighter than a drum on the internet.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:48 AM

Wink

Just one more thing and with apologies to Hornet , just now there are six Coopers over here for sale on line including one Custom Classic. The average price is Aus$4200 (US$3000) so count your blessings with the prices you enjoy.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:35 PM
Supporting Member

Wow, I am surprised at the value of your dollar, and yes, still happy to be in our situation
Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Wow, I am surprised at the value of your dollar, and yes, still happy to be in our situation
We also get reamed in the wholesale side of firearms and accessories over here, not much local competition, if any. Some of our importers are the greatest un-hung rustlers going round.