Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM

A little birdie told me the USDA wolf damage employees use 25-20 rifles on their control traplines in Minnesota. Yes instead of letting sportsman harvest wolves, some anti hunting judge blocked wolf season and 300+ are killed and buried. Just more wasted tax dollars, thanks Obama.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Supporting Member

Default 25-20

I've got one in a Martini and I guess I'm not as enamored as others are. Brass is not that hard to find, several auctions on Gunbroker, not cheap but 200 pcs will probably wear your barrel out. For short yardage small game use its sufficient. I would choose the 256 WinMag with all things being equal. It does do well when you need or want a rimmed case.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 PM

Default 25/20 brass etc

The 32/20, 25/20 and 218 bee are all the same case. At one time form dies were listed and the 25/20 is not that hard to make from 32/20 brass. I buy the Starline 32/20 brass in 500 case lots. It holds up better, last longer than Winchester or Remington. The 25/20 and 32/20 are both still shot and hunted with more than most would believe.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 AM

Cavscout68,

This forum provides much information about reloading/shooting the 25-20 for small game hunting.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/re...reloaders.html

Jim
Old 01-01-2018, 02:25 AM
Supporting Member

I formed a bit of 25-20 from 32-20. It went pretty smooth. I think I only lost a case or two out of about 50 and that was using some old vintage 32-20 brass. If I recall, all I did was pull the guts out of the seater for the first pass and then run it through the full length sizer to finish it. I lost a couple more on the first firing. I annealed the rest after the fist firing and have not lost any more since. 3-4 firings.... I have heard from more than one source Starline makes good brass. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag or two of 32-20's and make 25-20's out of them.

Aaron
Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default I have a 25-20 Winchester in a Savage 23B....

I traded a Winchester 67 rifle (22 rimfire) for a Savage 23B in 25-20 Win and two full silver boxes recent manufacture Winchester ammo. Think I added a hundred dollar bill to the Winchester single shot model 67. I figure I bought 100 rounds of fresh ammo for $100, and traded rifles. The Savage's stock has has some 'art work' added,... imagine a fish scale pattern applied with a dremel tool.
It still has the early box magazine that some owners must have easily lost because origionals are being priced like jewelry! It's proved to be accurate with this factory Winchester ammo using an N mount Weaver scope mount in holes (at least they were nicely D&T'd) in the receiver sidewall. A friend provided a set of RCBS dies for cheap but I've only shot about 20 rounds of the factory ammo so far. I would definately use this on coyotes in woods, and have thought about close range deer hunting with it. I've read about how the round has killed many deer, but hesitant to use it with the rather mild factory ammo. It feels somewhat like shooting a 22 Magnum and although I had ear protection on at the range apparently has minimal muzzle report. I have read that it can be loaded up a bit warmer than factory ammo, but hot loads are not a good idea I figure what with a single lug bolt. Neat old game getter rifle. Thankfully the bore is excellent and gives very good accuracy. I'm sure one could take a deer easily if you had to.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 01-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM

Default NRA Lever Action pistol cartridge shilouette

The 32-20 and to a lesser extent the 25-20 are frequently used for NRA Lever Action Silhouette of the pistol cartridge variety. This game is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. It regularly draws more shooters than any other match shot at our local range. If you have a suitable 32-20 or25-20 lever gun, try it you will love it.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM

I have a 1917 Savage Sporter in 25-20, really mint condition. Shot it quite a bit there for one or two summers. Had a guy reload it for me before I was into reloading myself, using 60 weight bullets where the factory loads are more like 86 grains as I recall. Anyway, I bought up some extra factory ammo and then just kind of moved on to some other more practical rounds for my hunting purposes. The 25-20 is now my only true 'safe queen' I guess you could say. Still have the original scope that came with it and everything.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Well, sorry guys - I see photobucket wants to play games now and have me sign up for some new plan that costs 399.99 per year for the privilege of having others view my photos on-line. Yeah right! Anyway, great piece of wood on a really nice old gun. If anyone is that interested, just send me a PM and I'll take another copy of the rifle and just send you the jpeg. Thanks & HAPPY NEW YEAR!