Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Cooper 38 discontinued

So after hearing the rumors, I sent an email to Cooper asking if I could still order a model 38.
They replied today "I am sorry but we are not making the model 38 anymore and cannot be ordered"

I also asked them if they will be offering the hornet and bee based calibers in other models instead and did not get a response on that question.

Hope this helps anyone else who were wondering about this too.

John.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hmmm, makes a person wonder if they're shutting
down all operations.
Fine rifles, be a shame if that happens.

But, many of us have had problems with the m38's.

mostly feeding, at least for mine.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ65 View Post
So after hearing the rumors, I sent an email to Cooper asking if I could still order a model 38.
They replied today "I am sorry but we are not making the model 38 anymore and cannot be ordered"

I also asked them if they will be offering the hornet and bee based calibers in other models instead and did not get a response on that question.

Hope this helps anyone else who were wondering about this too.

John.
John,
I had not heard the rumors. When did you start to hear them? I first heard about it from from your posting. That's a darn shame, because for the past year or two I have been just about ready to.pull the trigger on ordering a Model 38. Thank God I already picked one up some years ago to go with my two Model 21s. There is always the used market, but those 38s come up rarely, especially in LH. I really wish I would have picked up the one I saw on Gunbroker a few years ago in Michigan which was serial numbered next to mine. I think that the 38 was the better and certainly the better looking between the 38 and 21.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:05 AM

I first saw it on a thread here about shot show.

I had called them a week ago but the sales lady was on vacation and the person I talked to had no idea, I got busy and then decided to just e-mail them.

Just noticed your in my neck of the woods.

John.

Last edited by JohnJ65; 02-23-2019 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:11 AM

I figured I would chime in on this since I'm also from Akron, OH. I purchased my first Cooper late last summer. It was a Model 38 chambered in 20 VarTarg. I completely fell in love with the gun and the caliber(hence my name here). Since purchasing that rifle I have been on the hunt.....literally everywhere I go to buy more Model 38's. They are just sweet rifles. Got pretty lucky a couple weeks ago on here and picked another one up chambered in 17AH. I will buy plenty more. I love everything about them!!!! It's a darn shame they are being discontinued.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I figured I would chime in on this since I'm also from Akron, OH. I purchased my first Cooper late last summer. It was a Model 38 chambered in 20 VarTarg. I completely fell in love with the gun and the caliber(hence my name here). Since purchasing that rifle I have been on the hunt.....literally everywhere I go to buy more Model 38's. They are just sweet rifles. Got pretty lucky a couple weeks ago on here and picked another one up chambered in 17AH. I will buy plenty more. I love everything about them!!!! It's a darn shame they are being discontinued.
Nice, great to see I have some locals around who are into the small calibers, I'm just getting into them with a couple of Ruger #3's in 20 vartarg. I may just have another chambered up in 17 Hornet.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Sad to hear this....

I have always thought a 38 in 17Ackley Hornet or a 17HH would be nice.
Perhaps they will build a new small action that can handle the WSM and Hornet based cartridges,of course the rimfire bolt would need to be specific,but certainly possible.I hope they aren’t just gonna build big ugly tactical Creedmoors only.
Matt
Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ65 View Post
Nice, great to see I have some locals around who are into the small calibers, I'm just getting into them with a couple of Ruger #3's in 20 vartarg. I may just have another chambered up in 17 Hornet.
I am just getting into the small calibers too and man are they addicting!!!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:50 AM

No more Model 38? That's a bitter pill to swallow.

I guess mass-production rifles chambered for the .17 Hornady Hornet must have really cut a chunk out of the M38 sales. Personally, I would still prefer the Ackley version in a Cooper.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Well that really sucks. I have 2 model 38, a 221fb in a classic and a 20vt in a varminter. They are both shooters, guess its all about the $$$$. I think it was the small cals that got cooper started but probably not that big of a market anymore.