Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Do you know who has the best price on the Redding 20 vartarg die sets. Seems like the different styles with bushings run from $194 to $309?
No idea. You just have to look around and take the best price you can find, or wait until you find a sale. Independence Day is coming up.
Someone might offer a set for sale if you make a "Want To Buy" post in the sale forum.

I usually look at these sites:
https://www.midwayusa.com/
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.natchezss.com/
https://www.grafs.com/
https://www.brownells.com/

The Hornady full-length set looks like a good deal: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...sion-2-die-set
I don't have any Hornady dies, so maybe someone else can give them a thumbs up or down, especially regarding forming brass. Forming from Fireball to Vartarg doesn't really make any big changes except for the neck. The shoulder is changed, but not much, so you might be able to get by just fine with the full-length set.

Also, when I bought my bushing set it was the only set I could find anywhere. I think it was 2006 and I found the set on Graf & Sons by typing "Vartarg" in the search box. There was no other way to find the set on that site. I followed all the links from Reloading -> Dies -> Rifle Dies -> 20 Caliber which was full of .204 Ruger dies but no Vartarg. Using the search box was and act of desperation. I was surprised when the Redding .20 Vartarg bushing set popped up for $114. It was more than I wanted to spend but it was the only game in town, so I pulled the trigger. I'm happy with my dies, but I'm not sure I would pay what they cost now.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM

What if I used a Hornady seating die and a Redding Type S Full Length Sizing die? I could probably do this for $150.00 and keep the cost down.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM

I use the standard Hornady dies and have no problems. Have used them since 2004. I don't use Lapua brass, I started out with Rem 221 brass but found a set of redding form dies and now make all of my 20 vt brass from 223 brass with LC being the best. It is a process that some people don't like but I don't mind. If you go this route you will need to turn the necks and anneal. Your Cooper probably has a .232" neck so you want your loaded necks to be .229"-.230".
Old 06-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Default 20 VarTarg

If you are looking for minimum cost and minimum fuss I would suggest Hornady dies and Rem 221 Fireball brass.

I think this is likely to work best to minimize cost and (probably?) eliminate the need for neck turning. Rem 17 Fireball brass expanded to 20 will also work but will likely require more care in expanding to 20 caliber when using the Hornady 20 VarTarg dies.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 06-17-2019, 02:40 PM

When I started with the 20 VT, I bought and used a set of FL Hornady dies, as they were available and loaded hundreds of rounds with no issues, other than on the Hornady zip loc dies, make sure after you have them adjusted you tighten down that zip loc shaft nut, so it does not slip when inserting or extracting a case.
They will do the job just fine and are the most reasonable to buy.
Down the road you may want to upgrade as I did to another brand of die, I went with the Whidden bushing die set. But other makes some decent/good dies also, just depends on what you want to spend.
As for cases, 221 fire ball are the easiest to form into 20 VT, just run them into the FL die and load and shoot.
Bill K
Old 06-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Do not waste your money on a full length bushing die. Any reasonably good fl die will work for the first loading. After they are fire formed you should neck size only and that’s where you want to spend your money on a bushing die. After you have a pile of formed brass you will have little need for fl die so don’t spend a lot on money on it. RCBS, Hornady, or what ever will do just fine for the first loading. After that use the neck bushing die to fine tune things.
Bob
Old 06-17-2019, 11:53 PM

Thank you to everyone who has posted. It has helped me a great deal. I will buy the Hornady dies to get started and use my Remington 221 Fireball brass. Later as time and money permit I will invest in one of the pricier bushing dies.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who has posted. It has helped me a great deal. I will buy the Hornady dies to get started and use my Remington 221 Fireball brass. Later as time and money permit I will invest in one of the pricier bushing dies.
That is the way to start, slow and easy. You may find that you will just stick with the Hornady die set, but after fire forming into your chamber, you can back the FL die off a turn and just neck size with it, plenty good and probably be very happy, with a load or two that you work up in your rifle.
Be sure and work with a couple, but do not bypass AA2200 as one to work with. Bill K
Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
That is the way to start, slow and easy. You may find that you will just stick with the Hornady die set, but after fire forming into your chamber, you can back the FL die off a turn and just neck size with it, plenty good and probably be very happy, with a load or two that you work up in your rifle.
Be sure and work with a couple, but do not bypass AA2200 as one to work with. Bill K
Bill K,
I plan to load some of the 32 grain bullets. Do you have any recommended loads or other powders to try?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Bill K,
I plan to load some of the 32 grain bullets. Do you have any recommended loads or other powders to try?
Start around 19.3 of AA 2200 and work up slowly, with the 32 grain bullet. You should find a very accurate load.
And you might also give a start load of 17.9 of CFE BLK a go, but again work up slow.

My load is 18.6 of BLK and 20.3 of 2200, but that could be on the hot side for your VT, so start low and work up. Bill K