Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-25-2019, 04:22 PM

When I find a large nest of these meat bees/wasps around the place, I have found a can of starter fluid wripes them out very fast and they don't seem to even be able to come after me, all the while standing there giving it good shots of spray.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 PM

When I was a little kid , I saw my Grandfather headed down a hill towards home . The hill had tall grass and a steep bank . I thought it would be great fun to lay down and jump up and scare him as he came by . Soon after laying down , I felt some sharp stings on my legs . I looked down and saw my Jeans were covered with bees and I think they were Yellow Jackets . You would not believe how fast I got out of those Jeans . As I remember , I was also screaming at the time . Guess who got scared that day ? Another time I wanted to see if a wind -up Gman Toy that sprayed out Sparks would kill Bees . The Wasps did not seem to oblige . So much for Bee surprises !
Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

Yellow Jackets (and all other insects in the hymenoptera family) will sting to protect themselves and their nest. Honey bees are "one shot" only as their stinger and its plumbing are left behind (still pumping vemon and pheromone by the way). The rest are multi-stingers (ants included...think fire ants) meaning they can attach themselves and keep hitting you over and over again before the ball is blown dead on the 20 YD line. Once you are stung, you are also MARKED...as a pheromone (smell) is also emitted by the stingor that identifies the stingee as the BAD GUY, and the rest of the nest or hive concentrates on that object with the smell attached..it's really nothing personal on their part. For persons with sting venom allergies, this is REALLY bad news, as they will go into anaphylactic shock, which is what kills. The majority of us folks just have to lick our wounds and suffer through an uncomfortable day or two. Yellow Jackets will generally build their nests in the ground. Most of the time (until stung) you won't even notice, but once stung it's hard to forget. The times I've had problems with Yellow Jackets is usually in the late summer/early fall when they begin to think about a nest for winter, and also when the food supply is beginning to taper off. I think they become more aggressive at this time. Last encounter I had with Yellow Jackets was 2 years ago while weed whipping. Got stung in 37 different locations that day...I didn't take time to count how many sites were "multiples". The best advice is to know if you are allergic to their venom or not. That is the KEY question to know the answer to if you want to ever hunt again!!!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:39 PM

These last two post/stories reminded me of a time, when still hunting along for deer, all of a sudden my right foot/ankle inside my boot started hurting like Hell,
All the while I was beating myself black and blue and trying to get that boot off that one meat bee/wasp had stung/bit me fourteen times from the looks of the little red spots. Now that one area did swell up pretty darn good and hurt like crazy for a couple days. Not fun. Bill K
Old 08-26-2019, 04:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I have some pictures of the last couple times paper wasps hit me.
IF anyone can transfer them from text to post here pm your number and i'll
send a few.

Hand about 4" thick, forearm 5" dia to the elbow. Yeah it was painful too.

I seldom see black hornets around here. Nearly all I do see are the size of yellow jackets and only one or two.

Two years ago in the kitchen I saw a monster that was about 2 or 2 1/2" long and body at least 3/8" dia. I grabbed the wasp/hornet spray and nailed it. Fell down the curtain into the sink and down the disposer that I flipped on right quick.

When I told Rider about it he said I should have saved it as he'd never heard of one that big either. Have any of you? That's the first one in my life.

Back about '84 driving down I-25 with the wing vent open. I saw a big bumble bee coming and didn't have time to shut the window. I nailed me on the collar bone. That swelled up about like a tennis ball. Paying for gas I was chatting with the gal about what she was taking in college: "nursing" "that's just what I need right now some nursing" She got p'd at me! Never gave me a chance to show her the swollen collar bone. Such is life huh?

Hey foxhunter, how you doing by now? You kill 'em all? Ortho has a spray they call: Home Defense". I think that would work too, sure did a JOB on red ants at the neighbors the other day.

A question: Now and then I see a 3/4" dia hole in the ground in places it wasn't a day or two before. One time I saw eye's and a head duck down but, it was too quick to see enough to make out what it was. Anyone have an idea? I see a fresh hole today. Pushed some gravel in it. Last year I filled it with water and then stepped on the mud.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

George thank goodness I did not have the same reaction as you. back to normal but a little gun shy about weed whacking now. guess I will just dress for it. I picked up a can of the hornet spray last night but it would have been just as useless as the 9mm I had . not a great pistol shooter to start with but hitting flying yellow jackets while under siege, need I say more.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:34 AM
Supporting Member

A friend of mine does Bee relocation and removal in AZ. Bees just happen to be hobby in addition to a vocation for him. He has worked with U of A Bee lab along with the USDA.

His advise to me when getting stung is Tums. Chew several of them really quick and make a nice thick paste and slather it over the sting. I happened to get stung a couple of weeks ago while out in the yard. It worked.

Also, speaking of honey bees, any variety, you not do have to get stung to get marked. Often times if you get too close, one or more fly in and bump you, tag you're it. Then head back to hive and do the dance and his homies follow the directions to the scent. I learned that the hard way.

Aside from the ability to have a nasty disposition, bees are very interesting and amazing little critters.

Hornets, wasps, and yellow jackets, nuke em.

Michael.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

no activity in the nest holes. tums are an antacid and wasp venom is a acid, so I have been told. I made a paste of baking soda and smeared it on followed by a hydrocodone left over from my surgery.
picked up a couple yellow jacket traps today, this is a war of genoside.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I've fought the wasp war every year since moving in here in July '75.
Still got 'em. Don't seem as many this summer. Mowing yesterday I saw a bunch watering. I have a dripping faucet and birds, squirrels come to get a drink. Don't cost me much so i put an old bread pan under it so they can get a drink. draws the wasps at times on hot days.

Think they're in the broken off fence post again. My knee's are so bad now I don't have much balance and sure don't want to fall again or I'd go out at night and douche 'em good. A $3 can don't last long of Black Flag. Sure kills 'em quick though. I've shot a few out of the air even but 15 seconds the cans' done. Iv'e bought a case of 12 and run out in the same summer.

Thing I've learned about wasps, if they start buzzing you, just hold still and don't try to swat them. They'll get the idea you don't mean any harm and leave you alone. Watch where they go to nest then soak 'em good after dark. They won't fly at night. I've used a green light a couple times to watch what I'm doing.

We don't have many honey bee's here. Quite a group are making hives and spreading them around the county though. Wasps kill 'em is the thing.
Had a bee in the kitchen yesterday. tried to shoo it to the door but couldn't get the message and kept trying to get out the glass. Finally caught it in a paper towel and took it out front to fly away. Didn't take it long to git either. I won't kill them if I can help it.

Couple years ago I was moving the hose and with this back fusion I avoid bending over if I can. Made a heavy wire hook to snag the hose. Was walking by the bedroom windows shutters and saw some wasps flying under it. Like a stupid ass I whacked the shutter. Wasn't a second before I got hit by five on the L hand. Sure boogered me up that time.

First I knew of 'em in the fence post I was hanging a gate to it and they nailed me before I knew they were around. Six or seven shots that time.

Most of these years I've been stung a few times and never had any reaction to them until about 3-4 yrs ago. Drastic stuff now. I don't hesitate to get gone to the ER now.

Saw another one of those holes in the ground today. Wonder what's in them.
Sure would like to know.

Bob: How's the boss lady doing? Tell her hi.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 08-28-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 08-28-2019, 02:01 PM

Saw another one of those holes in the ground today. Wonder what's in them.
Sure would like to know.

George, they will build nest underground, big time. Flood that hole with diesel fuel, let it soak some and then if possible, without causing any issues, light it off.
I found one, one time in my yard, but no way could I have lit it off, so I put a garden hose in it and let water run, took about a hour before it must have filled up and started coming back up and over flowing. Never did see another wasp using it, so maybe I killed them off and the queen too boot. Bill K