Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 04-07-2020, 08:44 PM

Default WTB-17 caliber universal seating die

I have a new rifle on its way and need a universal seating die. It's a 17-23/smc so I'm assuming a 17 Fireball seater would work but Hornady makes one that is universal. But they seem to be out of stock everywhere via my google search. Anyone have one laying around collecting dust?
Old 04-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Check out the Vickerman style seaters. There's a company making them now.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:51 PM

When I had my 17/23 SMc built, I purchased the dies to go with it. The seater is a RCBS COMPETITION seater which works great seating my BERGER 30gr bullets. Just had it out this afternoon working up a load. Not good with 20 MPH winds.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm24m View Post
When I had my 17/23 SMc built, I purchased the dies to go with it. The seater is a RCBS COMPETITION seater which works great seating my BERGER 30gr bullets. Just had it out this afternoon working up a load. Not good with 20 MPH winds.
Really? My die “set” was just the customized Lee sizer die? Maybe Mic owes me a seating die . I was fortunate to already have an RCBS competition seater along with 17, 20, 22 and 7mm sleeves and stems.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 04-08-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Really? My die “set” was just the customized Lee sizer die? Maybe Mic owes me a seating die . I was fortunate to already have an RCBS competition seater along with 17, 20, 22 and 7mm sleeves and stems.
That's interesting Gary. I ended up finding one on flea bay. I hate buying stuff from there but the Hornady was $20 and I've used them in the past and they do what I need them to do. A micrometer seater would have been super nice to have though. I was looking at the new Frankford Arsenal Universal seater die. It comes with like 9 different size sleeves but only goes down to 22 caliber.....kinda bummed about it. If they made a 20 cal and 17 cal sleeve I'd probably buy it for the $100 they want. Oh well. Maybe some day they will come out with the correct size sleeves for guys like us and I'll buy one. Can't wait to start reloading for this rifle.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:20 AM

Default 17/23 SMc DIES

If anybody wants to know where my gun was built and where I purchased the dies, just PM me. I will dig up the invoices. When I built mine, Mic was recovering health wise from something and he gave me several gunsmiths that would do it for me. Just let me know if interested. I bought the dies from the gunsmith. jcm24m
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 PM

I might have a Vickerman or a functional clone. I'll have to check. If not, I obviously "need" one.