Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-08-2020, 04:53 PM

Stan: We kind of got off track talking about the issue with some Remington brass, If I did not have over 3000 204 cases I would try some of the Dogtown brass, since Nosler puts it out.
I would even buy the Remington brass the other poster mentioned, as annealing, fire forming and prepping would solve the issue of some deformed shoulders.
If you do buy and use the Dogtown, let us know what you think about it. Bill K
Old 05-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Supporting Member

Bill, as of now, it looks like I will be giving Dogtown brass a try, I'll report back.
Thanks,
Stanley
Old 05-08-2020, 11:57 PM

Sorry for my contribution to the sidetrack.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Bill, as of now, it looks like I will be giving Dogtown brass a try, I'll report back.
Thanks,
Stanley
I bet you will be happy with it. Re-diverting
Old 05-09-2020, 07:05 AM
Supporting Member

Dang. I've got the no-sleepums tonight...........

Awhile back I bought 400 rounds of 22 Nosler Dogtown brass from Midway USA. It came in boxes of 50 and was on sale for $8 something each. It weighs consistently with uniform necks and looks like very good quality brass, at least from the one box that I opened and looked at. I haven't had a rifle built yet to use it in, but I plan to and will definitely use the Dogtown brass.

I have trouble passing up a sale on something I don't have a need for at the moment... Especially when it was as cheap as it was at the time.

I just haven't decided yet if I want to neck the brass down to 20 caliber to play that game with it or leave it as is.

Edit: I looked up the order details to see when I bought it and it was $10.19 per box of 50. It came to $81.52 for 8 boxes........... I bought it in March 2019. Still a very good price at the time compared to the now price of $22.99 per 50.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-09-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post

Edit: I looked up the order details to see when I bought it and it was $10.19 per box of 50. It came to $81.52 for 8 boxes........... I bought it in March 2019. Still a very good price at the time compared to the now price of $22.99 per 50.

-BCB
Sometimes the Nosler brass goes on sale and I'll grab a few boxes then. I need to watch for the Dogtown brass sales. I've been wanting to try some.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Supporting Member

Default Dogtown Brass

Since I seen Varmit masters inquiry about Nosler Brass for the 204, I thought I would report back on the Dogtown brass I had asked for opinions on.

I was happy with the Dogtown brass that I purchased. For the purchase price, I thought the quality was acceptable. I found it to be lighter than Nosler, a little more variation in weight (if you care to weigh them) but overall decently consistent. Would I buy them for a match rifle, probably not, would I buy them for a prairie dog trip, most definitely.

I personally shoot Nosler in my 204 for groundhog work and I like their brass, (but I'm biased) The Dogtown brass was acquired for a prairie dog trip and I couldn't justify purchasing all new Nosler brass.

Stan
Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 AM

I just purchased 200 bulk Remington 204r brass off gunbroker 15.00/100. I could have saved a couple bucks per 100 with Win brass. Last night I loaded a 100 with 39 gr tnt's. No issues ran them over a .201 mandrel, only saw or felt one with a neck ding. Will shoot them at pd later this week, usually I shoot 32 gr vmax. We will see how parts fly between the 2 bullets. I randomly checked 20 with the Lyman small rifle cartridge block before and after the mandrel, all fit the cartridge checker and the TC dimension.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinTN View Post
Cases would not chamber w/o a lot of bolt resistance, FL sizing did not do much if anything to improve the situation so I scrapped 'em. Saw no reason to take any chances when I was just getting into reloading.

Just for future reference. Brass that is slightly mis-shapen and maybe a bit tough to chamber will remove/eject just fine from the rifle once fired, and the brass is not hurt or weakened in any way. And the next time it is used it will chamber just fine if you do the correct things in reloading it.

Over the years, If you have reloaded, evereyone has had more than one package of someone's brass that is not the best, but a trip though a FL die makes even the worst mis-shapen brass useable. Its nothing to throw away brass over for what we do.

If you get a bag of "bad brass", work with a few representative cases, maybe five or so, and load them up and shoot them and see what the result is. In 99% of all cases, you'll be mildly surprised to see that the brass is not "bad". Its called brass prep and its a part of reloading. It would be nice if we could always buy perfect brass, but unfortunately its not a typical part of the equation.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-07-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Brass is kind of like a nice lady, treat it right and it will return the favor.