Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Supporting Member

Default Spot Light Recommendations

Good morning gentlemen,

I'm looking to pick up a handheld spotlight, corded or rechargeable, for the main purpose of spotlighting for white tail specifically. This would not be for shooting over, but mostly observing game. Here in Pa it is still legal to do so, I don't believe it is legal in all states.

Anyway, this is for a gift and I'm hoping to buy something Made in the USA. My daughter didn't tell me how much of her money I can spend but I'm thinking I can stay in the $150 range.

I'm looking for probably a corded halogen I think, unless someone can convince me a rechargeable LED is better.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Stan
Old 12-08-2020, 02:37 PM

The improvements with the hand held LED/cordless lights make them a good choice for what you want, don't have to have a cord in the way and fool with.
Check some out and I bet you lean that direction.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:23 PM

When I was still a working LEO I had a 500,000 candle power spot light I kept in the car, corded, it got rather annoying to handle at times plus you couldn't get far from the vehicle. As BillK said with the new LED cordless types they're now much handier.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:40 PM

I have a Brinkmann Q-Beam and I like it for what I use it for. It has a focus beam and flood beam depending on how hard you push the trigger. It is advertised at 2,000,000 candlepower and can be used corded from the truck or remotely with its self contained battery. It comes with several colored lens covers and they work well. We use it for finding cattle at night, broken or holes in fences and it lights it up! It easily lights up black angus cattle at 400-500yds. There have been more than one coyote trot out into a field on a moonless night only for it to turn to daylight in a nano second.
For what you want to do, I think it is great. It is a little on the heavy side, so I use a 6 volt flashlight for calling, but I used the Q-beam when I was hunting with just a pistol.

Qaz
Old 12-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Look at Wicked Lights. Very good stuff.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

https://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/Go LED. You can run off rechargeable battery and the biggest advantage is they don't get hot. Large output lights are so hot they will burn your truck seat if you sit it face down with the light on. I have a light that mounts on top of my scope for night hunting pigs, it will light up deer at 250-300 yards just fine and you can choose, white or red light output. It is not a large light, about the size of most flashlights that run on 3 AA batteries. Rechargeable batteries are good for 12 hours on max output, output can be reduced for even longer life. Mine was made by Wicked Lights, have had it for about 6 years, still works great. I also bought the headlamp, they have a range of about 150 yards.

Their new lights are much bulkier than the one I have.

https://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/

Last edited by Dean2; 12-09-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:19 AM

Not sure what kind pf cordless tools you have, but check out the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Cordless Hybrid LED Spot Light. They have a kit right now with battery and charger for $70. It also will run off your 12 volt vehicle. My Q-Beam halogen doesn't come close to this. We were impressed enough my son bought one too
Old 12-11-2020, 12:13 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the good suggestions,

I understand when cordless is a must, a rechargeable LED is definitely going to be the way to go, I guess I'm old school, I picked a 5 million CP halogen by Larsen Electronics, these are Made in the great state of Texas.

So we'll see,
Thanks again,
Stan
Old 12-11-2020, 02:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wow, never knew they made 2 or 5 CP lights.

Mine's only 1` mill CP. White, a buddy sent me some
plastic sheets I cut both a green and red cover from.

I let it sit for enough years without recharging the battery died.

I opened it up and got the number, then ordered a new one for about $6.

I have several of those flashlites. Man they light things up for 200yards
even with the green lense.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"