Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Longest Range 17 for Coyotes

If you guys were building one for maximizing range on coyotes which cartridge/bullet would you pick? Pelt damage notwithstanding--i don't mind sewing. Don't know if i can get a build going now since i just paid for one, but this thought/question's always lurking in the back of my mind.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 PM

Default Long range 17...

17 PPC would be my first pick. 17-204 would be the second!
Bill
Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Well, remember that picture of the 17-50BMG that was floating around the web?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Supporting Member

17 Predator/ 204/ or PPC. I believe Dave Affleck made a few over 600yds with the Pred. Adam
Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Supporting Member

Debated the same thing for a while myself..

I started perty much at the 17 rem since has a perty good rep. for producing bang/flops. Well when you go up from there you can use more barrel length to burn the powder. More powder produces barrel burner and more cleaning usually. So now I'm adding on more barrel making a less handy weopon to swing on coyotes and maybe also reducing barrel life with more powder/velocity. At this point it seems like you reallly have to start burning alot more powder to up the velocity 100-200 fps.
So what I arrived at was a compromise called the 17-223imp. It holds quite a bit of powder so I left the barrel as long as I could at 25 inches. Cases are formed off 223 which are considerably cheaper than 204 or others yet can get Lapua if desired for ultra quality brass. Beyond that it is improved to hopefully aid in case life and efficency. Once compared I believe it is pretty close to a 17-204. I dont know what the bottom line is yet for velocity and accuracy since I have yet to shoot it. I hope it gets some notches in the belt on coyote and fox this winter.
Matt
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Supporting Member

Steve,
There is no good 17cal cartridge for "long range" coyote shooting.
Look at the energy levels at 400 yards and beyond.
If you don't mind sewing use a 22 cal with a 60gr v-max or a 24 cal with one of the good 75gr bullets. Very flat and good energy way out there.
Best compromise in a small caliber would be a 20 with the 39 Sierra.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 AM

If you think a .223 is OK then just make the leap and shoot them with a 220 Swift or a 22-250. A 17 remington with 30gr bullets and a 1 in 9 twist barrel 25 or 26 inches long will get you mostly where you need to go. Cost of dies etc is cheap and avaliable, I really don't think a 25 pound Coyote would know the difference between a 17 Remington and a 17 PPC. Larry
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 AM

Even with the 17 PPC your still dealing with light bullets 37gr Max for the 17. I do know that I have shot a boat load of coyotes with a 17, I used one for 4 or 5 season's just trying to prove a point. I know if I had been using my swift I would have made a hell of a lot more money those years. I had more dogs than I can count run off if they where hit over 300 yards away. It wasn't hard to hit them it was hard to anchor them, thats why my favorite 17 caliber fur gun is a 220 Swift!!

Bob
Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 AM

You would have killed even more if you had used a 25-06 or a 300 Win Mag, he asked about the best 17 for the job. If someone wants a box of Oranges don't try to sell them a box of Peaches.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Trotterlg, with all due respect, these guys may be getting slightly off the parameters of the OP but, they are speaking the truth. Nobody liked my first jab at a response of a 17-50BMG, even though it was made in jest. First, "long range" was not clearly defined. In my tiny mind, I consider long range coyote at a minimum of 300 yards. In the interest of humane kills and with my possibly limited skills, I don't see 17 caliber being viable for me. Second, he said he did not mind sewing. Again, I have no experience but, you use a 17 caliber to AVOID needle and thread, in regards to coyotes. All I can offer that is backed up with relevant experience is from two days ago. I shot three coyote pups, maybe 12-13 pounds with a 204R, 39 gr SBK, muzzle velocity @ 3,950. All were hit just behind the left shoulder blade at heart/lung height and not a single exit wound. Range was only 85-100 yards. Take that out to three times the distance and I can easily see why the responses are such as they are. Just saying.