Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Beat my buddies AR-10 for the shot

Went out last week and we called in this dog and he gave us the improvised fast shot at 170. My buddy was just gettin' ready to pull the trigger on his 243 AR-10, and i beat him to it--17 FB XP-100/30 Gold. Dropped him just dead out too--30 Gold is working great though not the best for fur--

Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM

What do you mean not the best for fur? I've heard great things about them in big 17's.

Aaron
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM

So far out of 3 predtors it's exited or blown an entrance wound every time. Could be a lot coincidnces but don't know--this one was shot broadside and gave a half-dollar size exit wound.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Supporting Member

Steve what kind of velocity do you get with the 17 FB and the 30's ?

ML
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 AM

Default Thats a nice one Steve...

He looks like he's been eating well.My buddy at work shot one in Nebraska last weekend that had mange bad.Good thing he was a bit out there
otherwise he might of been torn up worse.
Matt
Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 AM

Hey Matt--actually he had some red belly and a bit of mange too. Didn't skin him. Took his tail though.

ML--i'm chronoing right at 3375 avg. for the 16.75" barrel--probably the reason the bullet's not staying inside.

Had an interesting stalk/shot yesterday though on a couple coyotes laying across a ravine. Couldn't howl or call anything close, and i thought i saw one lay down in the shade of a tall cholla cactus, but i couldn't tell for sure at 700 yds. away. So my buddy and i decide to crawl to a depression and then up to the ridge for a 375-yd. shot. Aboutnow I'm starting to really hope it was actually a coyote we're crawling on instead of a coyote-like weed. My buddy was using my Rem. 700 6mm AI/87 Horn. BTHP shooting fireforming loads actually. It has a 4-12x Burris Mini on top with Ball. Plex reticle. So we get to the far side of the depression and i lasered the dog--could still only see his face looking at us, as our crawl was in plain view of him. But they rarely spook at something on all 4's even if it's moving. So i'm looking, looking and then finally it moves. Meanwhile my buddy's setup ready to go, with a 375-yd. solution of 1.3 stadia units with the reticle. So the dog obligingly stands up just at the right moment, and turns to move away--i bark real loud and he stops and turns broadside looking at us. Buddy Mitch pops him and the other coyote is "gone in way less than 60 seconds". That was a nice coyote so we skinned him off a tree limb and that was it--textbook intermediate range field shot. The fur's on a stretcher now, and Mitch's gonna get it tanned for his dad--What a great day it was!

Last edited by sshcoyote; 12-20-2012 at 04:25 AM.