Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 AM

Default "Daga at Palaka" Again in the PI This Year

Heading out again this year for the PI hoping to shoot some more rats (daga) and frogs (palaka) with a 22 cal. vintage Philippines air pistol I got from a guy over there last year. Stuck a 2X Swift pistol scope on it and beam adjustable mini-torchlight. This sucker's a shooter too as can be seen by the 4-shot 17-yd. group below the "C" in the Corn Flakes box shooting cheap local pellets. Check out the Weaver base steel epoxied to the barrel! Worked great though, can you believe it?--

This "guapo" rig was the hit of the barrio too accounting for maybe a dozen daga whilst we were there. My nephew (Noli, the Manila Jeepney driver) who was recovering from a mini-stroke was a natural with it and I just let him shoot whilst I was the official Observer/picture taker. Gawd it was fun--

This year we're hoping to nail some long-range frogs to 50ish yds. maybe, sniping with it using the 2X Swift. If you look close I drilled a lab vial cap to fit the finger adjustable turret it comes with stock. This way once zeroed I can mark the cap in MOA, and then run Chairgun with the help of a laser for hopefully some 1st-shot connections "way" out there--we'll see. Taking a couple tripods over too for some "bench testing", and field use from a supported sitting position using modified stadium seats I'm also sending over. Have an old Opti-Logic laser laying around and thought it'd be just perfect for this app. Anyways thought you guys might like to see what happens to a dyed-in-the-wool varmint hunter when he gets bored between beach trips in the PI Bicol Region. Stay tuned for a couple articles on it in Varmint Hunter magazine entitled, "Baboo," "Daga," and "Long-Range Palaka"...soon, I hope. HA!!!!--

Here's a buddy John in Ligao, maybe 30 miles from the Mayan volcano shooting with it last year. We were shooting all the way out to 70 yds. at a rock we hit several times. Unforgettable experience really shooting a gun not too far from one of the 7 wonders of the world.

Last edited by sshcoyote; 02-17-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:29 AM

Chairgun really helps for 1st shots, as I had heard it might--

This years long-range palaka gear (- the gun, of course), going over soon in a "balikbayan" box--

Stuck a V-yoke on the camera tripod and it works great.

Older Opti-Logic laser--

Last edited by sshcoyote; 02-17-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Looks like you are all set for the 'safari'! Is this meat hunting, or just for sport? Either way, I bet it will be nice to leave the parka at home! Have a fun, safe trip.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:56 PM

It's gotta be meat hunting Ramos, IF you eat rats & frogs!
Ken.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM

No meat hunting there really. Often thought that we should use the frogs, but there's a dump at the end of the stream that leaches into the stream itself so I don't think they'd be good for consumption. We really don't shoot that many though. Just trying for the long-range calcd. shot mostly.

Rats are a different story. They're a big problem over in the PI. I guess they carry leptospirosis, so they're usually killed on sight.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like fun.

Is the Benjamin a Marauder? The trigger is different than my 25 Marauder rifle. I really like the light 2 stage on the rifle.

Allen
Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 AM

Yes sir it is, the Marauder pistol (the P-Rod). Just got it setup awhile ago--waiting for coyote season to get over to get it worked up. Should be a great pigeon/dove shooter i'm hoping.

I'm hoping the taller tripod with V-yoke attached works good "in the field". I'm gonna test it tomorrow to see if it'll hold steady from a supported sitting position.

Last edited by sshcoyote; 02-18-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:30 AM

Be nice to read about and see some pics of anybody elses airgunning experiences in the PI or maybe some other countries as well.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the photos! Have a safe trip and let us know how it went.
Tom
Old 02-20-2015, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys--added a little decal made by a couple guys at the local mall. May help legitimize it just in case it's discovered in the box we just sent. May seem like a screwy project trying to see how far out we can snipe a frog with an airgun, but it does get a bit boring sometimes in the provinces. Gives me something to do--