Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-20-2016, 10:10 PM

Nice rifle, nice gesture.

Maybe your son will never be interested in shooting or hunting.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Nice rifle, nice gesture.

Maybe your son will never be interested in shooting or hunting.

Danny
That will probably be highly unlikely.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Supporting Member

very nice!

Fwiw I have six kids and told them all the same thing, just because I'm a gun nut and enjoy hunting/fishing/reloading doesn't mean you need to. I expect you find the purpose and meaning of life that IAW God's will for you and how he could use you. BUT I also expect you to at a minimum attend a hunter safety class AND learn everything you can while your there. I will sit through class with you (actually the instructor talked me into becoming a hunter safety instructor).

Well about 10-15 years ago I was 90% sure that none of my kids would ever be interested in guns, reloading shooting, hunting or fishing. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, softball, volleyball and probably a few other balls not only took their time and interests away from my sport it also caused countless hours of my time attending these events (giving up a lot of my only hobbies). I accepted it very well but I did have to grow into it. I started out bringing my gun magazines to the games. Had to figure out why they gave this one kid 3 points for a shot and why don't they jump jump balls anymore...

Now half of them have grown up and graduated from college and one still in college. All but my oldest are not only interested in guns and hunting but so are the boys girlfriends and my daughters boyfriend is a trap instructor. One son is LT NRA and has successfully completed a CCW course. Not sure where it came from but they went off to college one way and came home with more things in common with me then ever.

I've never bought any if my kids anything, they have bought all of their own and one has way better taste than his dad! I have bought many youth rifles, starting them out on chipmunk 22lr peep to a scoped chipmunk 17 HM2 and then a 17 HMR. From there I have the next bigger rifle like the youth CZ, youth lever action, pump, SS and autos. Youth shotguns and pistols. Guess someday I might be ready for grandkids...

Sorry for the long read, guess it it's close to home. Had it to do all over I'd do it again, maybe another kid or two but definitely no regrets. Those kids have been better blessings than I deserve.

Spend every minute you can with them, learn and grow together. They grow up super fast. I don't take credit for their success, but do give thanks to God for all the blessings!
Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
very nice!

Fwiw I have six kids and told them all the same thing, just because I'm a gun nut and enjoy hunting/fishing/reloading doesn't mean you need to. I expect you find the purpose and meaning of life that IAW God's will for you and how he could use you. BUT I also expect you to at a minimum attend a hunter safety class AND learn everything you can while your there. I will sit through class with you (actually the instructor talked me into becoming a hunter safety instructor).

Well about 10-15 years ago I was 90% sure that none of my kids would ever be interested in guns, reloading shooting, hunting or fishing. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, softball, volleyball and probably a few other balls not only took their time and interests away from my sport it also caused countless hours of my time attending these events (giving up a lot of my only hobbies). I accepted it very well but I did have to grow into it. I started out bringing my gun magazines to the games. Had to figure out why they gave this one kid 3 points for a shot and why don't they jump jump balls anymore...

Now half of them have grown up and graduated from college and one still in college. All but my oldest are not only interested in guns and hunting but so are the boys girlfriends and my daughters boyfriend is a trap instructor. One son is LT NRA and has successfully completed a CCW course. Not sure where it came from but they went off to college one way and came home with more things in common with me then ever.

I've never bought any if my kids anything, they have bought all of their own and one has way better taste than his dad! I have bought many youth rifles, starting them out on chipmunk 22lr peep to a scoped chipmunk 17 HM2 and then a 17 HMR. From there I have the next bigger rifle like the youth CZ, youth lever action, pump, SS and autos. Youth shotguns and pistols. Guess someday I might be ready for grandkids...

Sorry for the long read, guess it it's close to home. Had it to do all over I'd do it again, maybe another kid or two but definitely no regrets. Those kids have been better blessings than I deserve.

Spend every minute you can with them, learn and grow together. They grow up super fast. I don't take credit for their success, but do give thanks to God for all the blessings!

I grew up with no guns in the house, my parents did not have any nor did they shoot. I grew up always wanting a gun and finally one day my mom took me to the store and I got a 22lr, still have it. I was hooked that very second. I always said, I would get my child a gun right off the bat. I wanted him/ her to grow up respecting guns and learning to shoot. I think it will be awesome for my son to tell my grand kids one day as he passes it down, " Your grandfather bought this for me when I was born". I think it makes it more special and will help keep it in the family even if it gets passed down to someone that doesn't like to shoot. Hopefully they will keep it in the family and continue to keep passing it down.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 AM
Supporting Member

That's awesome! You sound like me when about handing down family facts.

I have a shotgun from one uncle (still living) a 22 rifle and revolver (uncle deceased) a 25 ACP from my grandpa who I never knew and a couple rifles from my dad that had rust damage but I'm restoring them. All have unique stories that go with them. I also have gun barrels and builds from help if friends here on this site that will be handed down with the rest someday with their own story and recognition of guys they may not remember as well as an unique story about a contender barrel rechanbered by Fred at Bullberry who on his own doing inscribed my wildcat a 17 Wenzl Special.

Pretty cool stuff, glad to read what you're doing!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

Ever consider adopting a 57 year old! Got a new shoulder 3 months ago so should be okay for a while. House broken/potty trained already and don't eat much...
Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 AM

Congratulations. Think you'll be able to keep your hands off it until he is ready?

I've been using the "bought it for the kids" excuse for a couple years, but it is starting to wear thin.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Supporting Member

I like the Ben Franklin quote and the nice Sako! You have started really early spoiling you boy.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
Congratulations. Think you'll be able to keep your hands off it until he is ready?

I've been using the "bought it for the kids" excuse for a couple years, but it is starting to wear thin.

It's going in the back of the safe and I will pull it out when he is ready, I have plenty other Sako's that I can shoot in the mean time. He will have to show me he is ready first.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:30 PM

The "Vixen" was always a favourite of mine. Lucky 'son'.