Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default .20x.220 Russian

Would like some thoughts regarding this pending project. I have a reamer ordered for the above using either 39 or 40 gr. bullets. Has anyone any experience trying an 11 twist barrel? Would a 50 grain bullet even possibly stabilize if a guy wanted to fool around with it? Also, what two or three powders are suggested. I've looked at PPC abd B.R. data but sicne the Russian is smaller, I'd like to narrow the testing window.

Thanks all for any insight you may offer.

Bruce
Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Hi,

I have been working on getting a 20BR together fro some time and run a 6mmPPC so might be able to help a bit.

The things I have read indicate that the 50grainer wants a 1 in 9 twist for optimum accuracy, my intended barrel manufacturer tells me that good quality 39 and 40 grainers should still stabalise in a 1 in 9.

You may have already looked at the 6BR section on 20 calibers,

http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html

This gives solid advice on the 20PPC, this is formed using the Lapua .220 Russian case that I think you are talking about.

Hope this helps,

A
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Supporting Member

This was an interesting thread, you might look at. I asked about a 20-220 Beggs in there. He has been doing some work with reamer design for the 220 russian case that is supposed stop case growth, and also dies. This is my next project, but I have to get the 2 I am working on done first.

Drew

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=tunnel
Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 AM

Bruce,

based upon your previous posts, I'm lead to believe you are a BR shooter.

Since the 22ppc -.100" has nearly the same capacity as a 220 Russian, I'd guestimate that the 20ppc -.100" short is very close in capacity to the "20 Russian".

My good friend Dave Kessler who posts here from time to time has a Kelbly's built 20ppc -.100" short. Dave has emailed a bunch of good info on this cartridge which I have sent to you via PM. Dave mainly shoots the 39/40 gr pills as the numbers are very impressive.

feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

PS - let's see some pics of that Farley 17 AH . My Farley Firefly is posted in the custom builds forum.

here's a sample of Dave's loading info.

CB <*)))>{

20 PPC -.100" short , Lapua brass
Benchmark powder , 39 gr sierra bullet

26.5 grs. = 3779
27 grs. = 3906
27.3 grs. = 3972
27.5 grs. = 4004

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCEK View Post
Would like some thoughts regarding this pending project. I have a reamer ordered for the above using either 39 or 40 gr. bullets. Has anyone any experience trying an 11 twist barrel? Would a 50 grain bullet even possibly stabilize if a guy wanted to fool around with it? Also, what two or three powders are suggested. I've looked at PPC abd B.R. data but sicne the Russian is smaller, I'd like to narrow the testing window.

Thanks all for any insight you may offer.

Bruce
Bruce, I have a BR project in the works based on a -.175 20PPC. I will be using FB bullets in the range of 44-48 grains whose lengths are under .775" and I've ordered a Bartlein 1-11" 5R barrel. I've been told more than once that the 50 requires a 1-9" twist.

Mike
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Default .20/220 Russian

Thanks everyone for your references and comments. Gives me a great starting point.

Bruce