Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Supporting Member

Default 5mm Craig/Schroeder Bullet Choice

Those here who doing this what is best bullet & powder combination?

Does anyone know if Aguilla sell the projectiles or only loaded ammo

Johno
Old 04-13-2019, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

I haven’t been keeping up but this was the last thing I rennet hearing

http://www.varminter.com/5mm-rimfire...la-ammunition/

My CF likes moly coated 30 gr lead (tire weights), 30 gr vmax and shot well with 32 vmax (single loading them).

There was/are some 5mm mag barrels on gunbroker. If you have contender, it’s a great companion to your rifle (just saying lol)

The only down side is I don’t own a 5mm mag auto loader.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

We can't get the ammo down here that's why ive been after the Schroeder. My rifle is the tube magazine 592

Johno
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 AM
Supporting Member

It’s very clear to me that the best thing would be to unload that 592 as fast as you can.... to help out out I will for a limited time make you an offer like you won’t believe... you can send it to my home....

Seriously, with a 592.... and not being able to get ammo.... if you have lead it would probably be good if you could pick up one of those bullet molds we had made up years ago. Should feed through the tube and also be a blast to shoot!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:35 AM
Supporting Member

Gary, this rifle was for sale here for about 8 moths with no interest, I contact the old bloke and he told me he bought it new in 1970 and fired no more than 2 or 3 boxes of ammo, it came with one white box rem 38 grn bullets and cost about $200.00 USD.

Ive since picked up 10 boxes of the same white box ammo, I got her on target with an old 6X Weaver and put 6 shots into 3/4" at 60 yds but only three holes on the target you could see where the bullets cut close to each other.

I am very happy with the rifle its in as new condition was well cared for, they are not going to win a beauty contest but I find it a well balanced and accurate rifle you can't ask for more

Johno
Old 04-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Default I have used the....

30 Berger and 32 V-Max as well as the 33 Calhoon.AA9 was powder of choice.
Lots of fun to shoot this little case.
Matt
Old 04-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Supporting Member

I wonder how those Calhoon's would go in the 592 tube magazine

They are a great bullet but I wonder being so hard if the may fire the round in front even the recoil is light.

I wrote to Aguila again this time asking if projectiles were available, no reply which is consistent with how they do things we have had a lot of people down ask about the ammunition and get no reply apart from one email when the released the stuff that they were trying to find an Australian agent yet two companies I know of approached them to be met with the same non response.

If anyone has a lead on other suitable bullets i'd appreciate.

Johno
Old 04-14-2019, 08:04 PM

In the Craig cartridges we used 5 to 5.2 grains of AA#9 be hind Burger 30 grain and Sierra 32 grain bullets and used CCI Magnum Small Rifle Primers.

For the 35 Grain Bullets we used 4.5 to 4.9 Grains of AA#9.

Mike Craig destroyed a 592 trying to get the cartridges in the tube to dent the primer ahead of them. He dropped it from about 30 feet and destroyed the stock. There was no physical marks on any of the cartridges in the tube.

I have been shooting a 592 since 1993 and have never had any worry about shooting the rifle with many different projectiles.

I have hopes and plans to continue to support the 5MM, this is one of the major reasons to move to Wyoming. I know what needs to be done to finally make this cartridge what it should have always been. With the good Lord's held and as my health improves, we will have to see if I can make this work again.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Lowell, many thanks for the advise and ive replied to your pm.

We don't get AA powder here so I may have a problem finding something suitable, ive registered on the 5mm forum but can't post for some reason.

I there any difference between Craig & Schroeder brass & dies?

Johno
Old 04-14-2019, 11:14 PM

John,
Schroeder forms his brass from squeezed down and lathe turned .22 Hornet cases, so his brass has more volume than the machine cases that we made. Sometimes when they are turning off the donut that forms at the web of the hornet case, they get a tad bit deep and those cases will come apart leaving most of the case in the chamber.

It is not problem, a cleaning rod with a wire brush pushed thru the case and then pulled out will usually remove the case part.

Our brass was turned from C360 rod and being machined was not hardened at the rim and primer sections of the web. If you loaded them hot, the primer pockets would enlarge to the point you could not use them. The case from the rear of the neck to the rim was thicker than a normal case. You can not bump a shoulder back with our cases because the cases are machined to shape and not drawn.

Bumping the shoulder will sent the now rimless case through the shell holder and slow down your reloading while you sort out what happened.

I know what we need, I think that I can do it but I did not want to even start here in Washington. If my plans are solid it will take some time and resources to get things done but I think the 5MM is worth it,

I am not promising anything but just wanted to share that as my health returns, I am still loyal to the 5MM cause. It would be sometime in 2020 before I could even begin to look at this problem, but God willing, I will.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON