Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Pillar bedding a CZ 527 question

I decided to pillar bed my CZ 527..I have one in 221 and the action fits great in the stock..The one I just pillar bed is a 17 REM and the fit was really bad..Maybe I should have sent it back to CZ but it's mine ..,and well I don't like my guns returning to the mother ship.. Sometimes they come back in worse shape , or im with out my gun for three months and it comes back in the same condition..
Any who...My question is in regards the the bottom metal . Should the magazine well completely bottom out in the receiver or should there be a gap...The only reason I ask is there seems to be a gap in my 221 and it feeds perfectly..
Or is this one of those things that I have to fit for function..
So when I'm done I may need to trim the pillars until it feeds good..
Does any one have experience with this that could chime in on this topic and post there findings
Thanks guys
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Supporting Member

I bed so the magazine is bottomed in the receiver. But I have several that's not even close to bottoming out and they shoot fine. Once, after bedding the gun, I removed the bottom metal completely. Use washers to build up the pillars so the screw fitted, it shot great . It shot so well I was thinking of modifying my stock pattern to make it an ADL style stock. It's my understanding that mauser designed guns should have the magazine bottom in the receiver, just what I've read.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:21 PM

I always bed so that the bottom metal is not in contact with the receiver. The mag box should not press up against the bottom of the receiver.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
I always bed so that the bottom metal is not in contact with the receiver. The mag box should not press up against the bottom of the receiver.
This is what I have read ..But I wasn't sure..I put it all together and the bottom metal is in the action bottom recesses a little bit, but by no means is it bottomed out in the receiver..It seems to cycle OK not very smooth ..But it is better the. When I got it..And that's not saying much..
My 221 is super smooth I really love that gun and it impressed me so much I picked up another one ..And this one is a pain in the butt..Hard to cycle..Very difficult to eject..i( I have to jerk the bolt back twice to eject a spent case..Not sure how to fix that one.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 PM
Supporting Member

With these small, relatively thin walled actions, pillar bedding will prove to be best. Even with a good, full bed, the wood can swell and still move the action. Pillars with quite a bit of space around the action (business card thickness) will work best.

The barrels on even the varmint version are not so heavy to need full bedding.

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 AM

This is not exactly a CZ527 action but the same set up. I have just finished pillar and bedding my Win P14 action in 6.5 Epps and this also has an internal box mag. I set it up with just a slight clearance between the mag box and the action.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Pillar bedding CZ527

Hi first post here and hi from England
I have the CZ527 in .17 Hornet Varmint , from the start i ran the barrel in
then i took some shots on target very poor with 20grn factory loads, very disappointed and it was showing bulging signs on the cases.
The rifle was sent back to the importer who`s supposedly check it over and it apparently came back as fine,so back to some targets it was worst then before

And i found out they had Tightened the action down so hard it made the bolt release crush into the stock , No way was it it going back to them again i decided to bed the action and look at the pillars and found a very good utube video on bedding and pillar bedding the 527.

i used the same / similar brass pillars as per video, but i used JB weld to bed the action and fix the pillars , The 527 did have some play but now its solid with plenty of a gap under the barrel. I can put 3-4 20grn vmax all touching @100yds now.
Thank you Mark527vARMINT.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Welcome Mark. Is it stilp buldging cases? That's strange. Glad you got it working.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 PM

Thank you

No it is not bulging cases no more, cant understand why but it might have been some high pressured factory loads ? And shoots very well now .
Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Bedded the rifle..it shot better..but it was kind of ugly..so I purchased a Bel and l Carlson stock
The fit was amazing ..the rifle snapped in with a good hard push..I've never seen a rifle fit so go in a stock..and it shoots great..no bedding, work needed..love it..
If your thinking of getting one of there varmint stocks..just order one..you can't go wrong..