Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM

I really like the RCBS competition seater with the side window. I enjoy seeing that bullet wiggle & align itself in the funnel as it drops down in line with the case mouth!

I wish RCBS made these for all their rifle calibers even for hunting calibers. I'd buy 'em. They could be an option in their die sets or they could sell separate. For average reloaders (like me) they could even eliminate the micrometer head to keep costs down.

As to the original question, you could try fitting/lapping/bedding the seater bullet cone in the RCBS die for a better fit to improve run-out. While it may go against your grain, try a Lee die ring with the rubber "O" ring on the RCBS seater die. Just a thought.

Last edited by pertnear; 07-13-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
I really like the RCBS competition seater with the side window. I enjoy seeing that bullet wiggle & align itself in the funnel as it drops down in line with the case mouth!

I wish RCBS made these for all their rifle calibers even for hunting calibers. I'd buy 'em. They could be an option in their die sets or they could sell separate. For average reloaders (like me) they could even eliminate the micrometer head to keep costs down.

As to the original question, you could try fitting/lapping/bedding the seater bullet cone in the RCBS die for a better fit to improve run-out. While it may go against your grain, try a Lee die ring with the rubber "O" ring on the RCBS seater die. Just a thought.
Rcbs does offer the guts for the competition seating dies in all calibers. They do not, however, offer them for the gold metal match line of seating dies which cradle more of the case.

Go to midwayusa and search seater plug assembly. I forget the name of the second part but I'm sure it'll be on the same page. Each caliber requires these two parts, but you can get away with using nearly the right parts.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:23 PM

Default Rcbs comp seater

The only thing I don’t like about the RCBS competition seater is that shorter cases require the use of extended shell holders that preclude their use in progressive presses.

Other than that, i really like them.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM

I have several NOS Lyman PA Seater Dies that have been slightly modified the runout on them is .0001

Jim
Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM

My first experience with the RCBS Comp seating die was with a 7-08AI that I needed dies for, 14ish years ago. After not being able to find a seating die I called RCBS and they sent me a 7MM Comp die with an extended shell holder and I have been using it ever since. After reading the comment about run out above, I went and measured a couple of different cartridges loaded with these dies - 7-08AI and 330 Dakota and the run out was less than 1 thou for both so I am not sure what the deal was there with his run out problems. And as NCM said above the window is the best innovation yet and I am surprised that other manufacturers have not jumped on this idea.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Supporting Member

When I would find used Comp seaters, I would call RCBS and tell them what I needed. Working with a 6 BR seater die and swapping the "sleeve" for a 22 caliber to work with my 22 BR rounds.
Every time the questions was asked "what are you doing, changing calibers?"
Sure enough, "They're on their way at No Charge". Have NEVER been able to beat the RCBS customer service.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM

I blamed my own clumsiness on the 'seater finger' scars

But I do see the benefit for teensy bullets and sausage fingers in 17 and 20.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 AM
Supporting Member

And then there's those Guys that are loading 14 caliber?
I have been on a roll and did the finger smash thing.
Bad enough trying to pick up those tiny bullets.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 AM

if the goal is simply to create a method to keep the bullet centered with the case and neck as it lides up in the seating die, that's something that can be done cheaply.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Question

Just a thought & maybe someone has already tried one or a press like this....

The new MEC Marksman reloading press has a "floating" shell holder. It is suppose to allow more precise sizing by letting the case align itself to the die. I don't know because I don't have one, but could it help bullet seating alignment if the RCBS neck alignment plug holds the front of the case precisely?

Just thinking out-load here, as "sloppy" is usually bad, but I'm sure we all have experienced stranger things while reloading.

FWIW...