Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Default 14TCM Bolt gun project

I have the rifle in my hands and have taken it all apart. After this I will move to the Project Gun thread to be proper. The rifle is fairly nicely made, it is a two rear locking lug design with a two piece bolt. Has a Sako type extractor in it. The barrel is threaded into the action so that is good. There is no plastic on it that I can see, all the parts are metal. The trigger is adjustable for sear engagement but the safety is dependent on the adjustment so that limits the adjustment some. The magazine is long enough for my loaded rounds to fit and my little 14TCM rounds feed from the magazine with no modifications. Wood is good for a cheap gun. There is no recoil lug on it. More in the other thread when I get further along. The parts so far, the barrel is threaded 3/4-18 and was easy to remove, it was put on with Blue Locktight. Larry

Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Supporting Member

Are you going to make a recoil lug, like a Rem?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:18 PM

Look forward to seeing your progress
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 AM

I think what I will do for recoil is to bed the rear of the trigger group/magazine well casting into the stock to take up any recoil. It is a casting and is attached very well to the action. Larry
Old 07-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Supporting Member

Larry

Is this rifle a TCM, made for the 22 TCM?

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-11-2016, 05:50 AM

Yes it is, as far as I know it is the only rifle made for the 22TCM. I picked it so that I could make a repeater in .14 with the minimum of difficulties, and it seems to be working that way. Interesting thing is that the action has separate little pieces bolted in for the feed ramp and the ejector. If you need to change anything about these you can just make a new little part and bolt it in place. As far as I can tell it is all American threaded, so that is also nice. I would say now that it would be a good action for any round with a .223 case head and an OAL of 1.285 or less. The rifle comes with a 5 round magazine and they say the high capacity one for their Pistols also fit the action if you need a few more. Larry
Old 07-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Supporting Member

Larry I can't remember where I read it but I read where the pressure limits where down in the 40,000 psi range. I have no idea if true. I'm always worried about the rear lugs where the handle is one of them. Be safe, hate to see you get hurt.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 PM

I will have to find someone who can do some calculations, but they say the 40gr .224 bullet does 2,800fps out of a 22 inch barrel, so I guess there must be some way to figure out how much pressure it takes to do that. I don't see any reason to try to make this more than a 100 yard gun, don't think you could carry much energy in a 13gr bullet much past that no matter how fast it started out. I am going to change some of the dimensions on the barrel from the factory ones. The action flange that the barrel contacts is .050 larger in diameter than the flange on the barrel is, so with the .14 barrel I am increasing the flange to match that on the action, that should give a little more stiffness. I was considering using a barrel nut to simplify headspacing, but I think that would just make the threaded part that is only 3/4 inch diameter too long and not be as rigid as I would like. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 07-11-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:16 PM

This is a picture of the action with the factory barrel on top and the roughed in barrel on the bottom. I am going to leave the new barrel with a chamber swell at the full diameter as the flange that contacts it and make a more conventional taper to the barrel, it will cause me to do a little inletting on the stock but should be easy. Larry

Old 07-14-2016, 05:28 AM

Default Addictions

Larry,

You are causing a minor epidemic of smallcaliberenvy-itis with this cool project. I'm checking back on this regularly.

Do you have any photos of your little 13 grain .144" bullets?

Hutch