Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 10:31 PM

Default CZ 527 17 rem

Hi guys
I've been a long time reader but never posted anything here goes,
I'm a fairly experienced reloader small caliber and large but this CZ has been giving me fits. Its a CZ 527 varmint .17 rem 1 in 9, it groups all over the place. had it glass bedded, tightened it up from 1.5" to 3/4". Tried 20,25. & 30 grain bullets, no discernible difference. different OAL, different velocity's.
Don't have much hair left any suggestions ?

AimHigh77
Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Supporting Member

You don't mention anything about trying different powders, might be another avenue to pursue. My 17 Rem. loves Benchmark. Is the barrel free floated or bedded? Free floating can make a big difference.

Aaron
Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 PM

Default CZ 527 17 rem

When I had the rifle glass bedded, The barrel was already pretty well floated but my smith took a little extra anyway. As far as powders there is a long list, I pretty well went thru Berger & Hornady's data and tried the majority of the powders listed. It seemed to do better if I kept the velocity around 3800 to 3900 fps, No great diff on the primer front tried rem 7 1/2, CCI 450 mag & 400

AimHigh77
Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 PM

Not sure if you have experience with CZs, but one of the things I have seen to cause trouble with accuracy in a rifle with the work you have invested in this one: The trigger guard and bottom metal gets slightly out of kilter when the screws are tightened. It does not take much to get the action and trigger guard out of alignment. If this is the case and the screws are tightened down, the bedding job on the rifle becomes useless and the stress shows as poor accuracy.

Suggest taking the stock off and assemble the action to the bottom metal amd see exactly what it looks and feels like when in alignment. Then, carefully reassemble with the stock and pay attention to correct seating of the magazine housing into the bottom of the action.
This incorrect alignment has caused many CZs to shoot wildly.

This may not be the case with your rifle, but it is worth checking.

Bill
Old 01-21-2017, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Bill
When I had Ray do the bedding he checked the fit on the bottom metal too, I guess I'm running out of things to check. I also had him run a bore scope down the tube and things were good. Crown was good, chamber & headspace good.
Arrrg

AimHigh77
Old 01-21-2017, 12:38 AM

I just bought a cz in 17 Remington and so far I've been happy with how it shoots. So far it's grouping at a half inch if i do my part. So far it likes 25 grain match targets with 23.6 grains of 8208xbr
Old 01-21-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
Not sure if you have experience with CZs, but one of the things I have seen to cause trouble with accuracy in a rifle with the work you have invested in this one: The trigger guard and bottom metal gets slightly out of kilter when the screws are tightened. It does not take much to get the action and trigger guard out of alignment. If this is the case and the screws are tightened down, the bedding job on the rifle becomes useless and the stress shows as poor accuracy.

Suggest taking the stock off and assemble the action to the bottom metal amd see exactly what it looks and feels like when in alignment. Then, carefully reassemble with the stock and pay attention to correct seating of the magazine housing into the bottom of the action.
This incorrect alignment has caused many CZs to shoot wildly.

This may not be the case with your rifle, but it is worth checking.

Bill
I have a 221 FB that is kinda all over except i got mine down to 3/4" sometimes 1/2"I realize this is pretty good (pencil barrel,skinny stock etc etc) but my other three cz's shoot little tiny groups one hole a lot of the time.
Bill do you have a specific torque when re-assembling? Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 AM

I have always used "feel" for the action screws...Tighten the rear screw til resistance is felt then completely tighten the front screw, then come back and finish the rear screw....I learned from an old gunsmith when I was a kid, that torque wrenches used on machine screws against wood resistance is imprecise and foolish folly!

Bill
Old 01-21-2017, 04:27 AM
Supporting Member

What kind of groups were you expecting from a factory rifle?

What power scope were you using?

Have you used H4895. H4198,rx7, imr3031,imr4064

There are a couple dozen more powders to try and several

more bullets. You are just getting started.

If I had it down to 3/4 consistently I would quit before I wore it out. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Default CZ527 17Rem.

Owned a factory CZ527 Varmint Kevlar 17Rem. for a few years.
My pet load:
REM brass, 24.0 H4895, Berger 25gr. target , CCIBR4, avg. 4100 fps
I use Redding competition bushing and seater dies.
Weaver rail, 30mm NF light rings,

I suggest quality dies, focus on 25gr. bullets as being optimum weight, double check your mounts.

Also shoot COOPER MTV with NOSLER brass, 21.6 H4895 @ 3940 fps SD 12.0
The combination of this rifle & NOSLER brass recipe is at it's pressure limit - anymore powder and the bolt lift is jammed.