Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Tim, I'm not sure you aren't really referring to the 17vha, and not a 17CCM. I am aware that Fiocchi did produce brass for the 22CCM, and the 17CCM.

17VHA Fiocchi brass 12.5gr H2O case capacity unfireformed,

17CCM max case capacity for powder is about 9gr, if I look at this thread here from Saubier.com : http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16760
According to this above referenced thread, safe powder weights seem to be down around 7.5 max with the exception of 1680. Also these were shot using 17vmax, not the 20gr.

Now that you have pointed out that the 1680 allows better performance, I am going to see how it stacks up against 300MP in my 17VHA, it might be the ideal powder in it.
No, I'm referring to the CCM. Not only did Fiocchi make brass, they made different lots requiring different considerations, I have the better brass.
Also AA 1680 has varied considerably over the years as to density and again caution is to be advised.

Last edited by tim simbari; 06-05-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Default Capacity

Then you are lucky, out of curiosity, what is the water capacity of your 17CCM brass to the top of the case neck?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Then you are lucky, out of curiosity, what is the water capacity of your 17CCM brass to the top of the case neck?
no idea, however, the former thread you referenced shows several 1680 loads at 9 & 9+ grains. For me, 9.2 is " mildly" compressed woth 20 grain Bergers@ 3200 fps.
The old Schroeder brass, made from hornet cases is lower capacity.
I have lots of the better Fiocchi brass and Tom Thomas was reported to have thousands of cases, never knew if it went up in the Outdoorsman's fire a few years back.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Default .17 ccm

Does anyone out there have anything to relate concerning their experiences with Fiocchi "One Shot" brass in the .17 CCM?

And, for clarification, disregarding Schroeder brass, are there more than three types of .17CCM brass out there (turned, Fiocchi one shot and Fiocchi reloadable)?

I still enjoy an off-and-on love affair with my Cooper (#17- 6x), but the barrel has been hard to get clean right from the get-go. And, unlike most of the other posters on this thread, I can't seem to get my paws on a steady supply of 17 grain bullets.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Default 17 CCM (Cooper Centerfire Magnum)

Dungheap.. I find the Midsouth and Midway nightmares & varmint express (made for them by Nosler) all the time. Shoot thousands in my 17/s. Maybe not quite as good as the Nosler z-max, but they shoot very well and are reasonable and available. Bill K
Old 06-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Throat length

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim simbari View Post
no idea, however, the former thread you referenced shows several 1680 loads at 9 & 9+ grains. For me, 9.2 is " mildly" compressed woth 20 grain Bergers@ 3200 fps.
The old Schroeder brass, made from hornet cases is lower capacity.
I have lots of the better Fiocchi brass and Tom Thomas was reported to have thousands of cases, never knew if it went up in the Outdoorsman's fire a few years back.
How long can you load your bullets? Or to ask it another way, how long is the chamber throat?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Dungheap.. I find the Midsouth and Midway nightmares & varmint express (made for them by Nosler) all the time. Shoot thousands in my 17/s. Maybe not quite as good as the Nosler z-max, but they shoot very well and are reasonable and available. Bill K
I've used lots of those in the .17CCM and .17AH, and agree.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
How long can you load your bullets? Or to ask it another way, how long is the chamber throat?
it's fairly long throated, truth be told I've never measured it because my loads are limited by the fact that I have an early model 38 with a magazine, not a single shot.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
I was hoping somebody might have some info on loads using 17g V-Max. I acquired 500 from a friend and thought they would be useful in this cartridge. I would be especially delighted if I could find a load using IMR 4227 as I have a lot of it. Thanks again guys, dedogs.
Well you are correct about those 17/17s being useful in the 17 CCM. IMHO they are perfect although I did enjoy the 15 and 18 gr bergers very much. The 17/17s just performed better on PDs at both close range and extended ranges.

I tried quite a few powders but not close to the data right now and don't remember how 4227 worked. But from what I remember 1680 was as good as it gets until I experimented with Ramshot Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
If I remember correctly G. Wenzl likes the 17gr VMAX in his CCM. I think he used enforcer for powder. You won't need much powder to burn up the 500 bullets you've got.

Aaron
Yes you are right. Ramshot Enforcer was noticeably better than anything else I tried. Best thing was that on occasions with other powders I would loose a case from expanding primer pocket. Enforcer seemed to be able to give me too velocity with no expanded p-pockets. Accuracy was as good or better than anything else AND the killing power was notably better. The load noise on impact was nice to hear lol.

I about missed this thread
Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 AM

What kind of velocity are you guys getting with Enforcer ?