Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 05-30-2017, 02:44 AM

Default 22 Hornet

I have been dealing with my Kimber for the last 2 weeks trying to tighten up my groups. I have read all the great info you gentlemen have provided. I have one question that I have not seen addressed on this little round. Case trim length is 1.393 but how much shorter can this be reduced. My magazine will only take up to 1.800 and I would like to use the 40 grain Nosler BT. It is showing case neck past the bullet. Thanks for your knowledge in advance.
Ole 2 Shot.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:46 PM

I have never wanted /tried to trim the brass shorter. I just use the rifle as a single shot for long bullets like the 40 NBT, which are typically even longer than the 40 VMAX. If you must use the magazine, try some of the Hornet specific 40gr SPs from Hornady or Sierra, which are much shorter bullets. My Kimber M82 is very accurate, and it is has a pretty tight chamber compared to my other Hornets.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:16 PM

The 34gr Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets from Midsouth would probably work in your magazine, and they are accurate for the price. If you'd like to try a few without buying 500, PM me.

While it wouldn't be a disaster, I wouldn't trim shorter than the published "trim to" length to resolve what you have going on.

I haven't used a magazine fed Hornet in a long time, but when I did, I shot a lot of 50gr Hornady SPSX bullets with good success.

Last edited by dungheap; 05-30-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 PM

I single load all my 40Vmax loads, but all my Hornets are single shots.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:25 PM

In my magazine fed Anschutz's I have settled on two bullets that I can load to mag length and still have them shoot good. The first is a 33 gr. Vmax that were seconds from .22 Mag ammo. I bought a few thousand of them and don't shoot them much so I still have a decent amount. Any of the 35 gr. tipped bullets (Hornady or Nosler) will substitute. The second bullet I use quite a bit of is the 34 gr. Varmint Nightmare. Since the rifles are manlichers and are more walking guns I really only use the Vmaxes in them but my Exemplar gets more bag shooting and so I shoot more of the VN's in that.

I tried 40 gr. Vmax's but I didn't like the seating issues so I save those for my #1B and T/C in hornet where I can seat them out long.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:57 PM

Default 22 Hornet

Thank you for all the responses. I have been using quite a few of the bullets you mentioned, but wanted to know if any one had tried this option. I will get on the horn and order some of the ones you have mentioned and see how that goes. Thanks again.
Ole 2 Shot
Old 05-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole 2 Shot View Post
I have been dealing with my Kimber for the last 2 weeks trying to tighten up my groups. I have read all the great info you gentlemen have provided. I have one question that I have not seen addressed on this little round. Case trim length is 1.393 but how much shorter can this be reduced. My magazine will only take up to 1.800 and I would like to use the 40 grain Nosler BT. It is showing case neck past the bullet. Thanks for your knowledge in advance.
Ole 2 Shot.
I am having problems following the logic in this one. I shoot 40 grain Vmax and Nosler Varmegedon out of the 22 Hornet all the time and I have never found the case length an issue. You should have .4 of the bullet sticking out of the case at 1.80 COAL and the bullet is only .705 long to start with and is a boat tail so you probably only have about ,25 gripping the neck to start with.

That said, there is no reason you can't trim the case another .1-.15, The case head spaces on the rim so shorter case length doesn't affect anything.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:59 PM

Default 22h

I like my Anschutz 22H rifles to be repeaters. The various plastic tip bullets are very accurate but have to be fed singly into the chamber, in my rifles.
I have settled on Berger 40 HP. They fit through the magazine of my guns and are accurate and explosive.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 PM

My Ruger 77/22 Hornet Sporter thrives on this load:

40 gr. Nosler Varmigeddon 12.3gr. MP-300 Fed 100 Primer R-P Case 1.760" LOA delivering 2926 fps and 3/4 MOA accuracy out to 200 yards on a calm day.

If anything, try the 40 gr. Nosler Varmigeddon bullets as they are a flat base bullets that often perform better if you have a long chamber throat and a short magazine length.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:28 PM

I also wonder if this is a 1-16 twist barrel? Normally the 40 Vmax does not really care how far it jumps. Some guys swear by crimping, I use spp primers instead. FYI almost every full length die will do a "factory crimp", without buying another die. What loads are you trying? The NBT and 40 Vmax may not stabilize in a 1-16?