Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Default 17 HMR & coyote

I hope we can just enjoy each others comments regardless of the small caliber size and use. And yes, not get into a rut on will this or that kill. Us older folks know what can kill, as many a deer fell to the lowly 22rf during WWII and even too date, to put meat on the table, when it was scarce.

As to the weight of that coyote, right at 45 lbs. good sized male and nice coat. Bill K
Old 10-14-2017, 11:04 PM

He sure is beautiful.

People around here see them crossing the road and will say things like- "it was bigger than my black lab who is over 100 pounds"

But again we do have some 60-70 pounders and they are impressive to say the least.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 AM

Default 17 HMR & coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
He sure is beautiful.

People around here see them crossing the road and will say things like- "it was bigger than my black lab who is over 100 pounds"

But again we do have some 60-70 pounders and they are impressive to say the least.
Know what you mean. They do look bigger, when they have a full and fluffy coat. And on occasion we do get some that weigh into the 50-60 lb. But a good average is probably 25-40 lbs, in these western versions. Big or small they take a lot of sheep, young deer fawns, along with some calves, every year in this area. Bill K
Old 10-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
As to the weight of that coyote, right at 45 lbs. good sized male and nice coat. Bill K
Wow... I'd have guessed him way smaller than that!

But 40 pounds is a huge coyote in my area of operations. Average mature adult runs right around 24 lbs. Between 25 and 30 is a big coyote, not terribly unusual, but definitely bigger than most. Anything over 30 is getting pretty big, for this country and not very common. Over 35 pounds, just not often seen, kill maybe five or six a year over 35. But 40 pounds, that's just getting ginormous for around here, haven't killed too many that big.

Biggest I have ever personally killed and weighed was 44 pounds. Have killed a few others I think were as big or maybe a hair bigger, but did not actually weigh them and can't say for sure.

Biggest I have ever personally seen killed and weighed was 51 pounds. He was a freaking monster! A 12 year old kid killed him with a .17 Rem. .

But dang, I would have guessed that one in the picture well under 30 pounds!

- DAA
Old 10-15-2017, 06:36 PM

Default 17hmr & Coyote

DAA, here is one that went a little over 40, taken with the 20-223ai. Does he look that much larger ? Bill K
Old 10-15-2017, 06:38 PM

Default 17 HMR & coyote

Now this one is smaller, around 28 lbs and with the 22-250. You can see he is thinner, for sure and not near as plump. Bill K
Old 10-15-2017, 07:29 PM

Default 17 HMR & coyote

Then there is this male, which is the smallest one this year, he was right around 20 lbs, as you can tell, thin and not very large. Bill K
Old 10-15-2017, 09:14 PM

I know eastern coyotes are larger especially as you get farther north. I think this is where there is some argument on caliber choice. We think coyote killing power for a 40-50 coyote while some are use to 25 lbs. Shot placement is key no matter the size. My lab is around 60 lbs. I've seen coyote here just a little smaller then her.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-15-2017, 10:23 PM

Default 17 HMR & coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
I know eastern coyotes are larger especially as you get farther north. I think this is where there is some argument on caliber choice. We think coyote killing power for a 40-50 coyote while some are use to 25 lbs. Shot placement is key no matter the size. My lab is around 60 lbs. I've seen coyote here just a little smaller then her.
I have never hunted the Eastern Coyote and have been told and read that they are larger, especially as you go north. Ours, out here, probably average around 30lbs, some thinner, some heavier, I guess depending on how well they are feeding if there belly is full when we weigh them, when we bother to do so. And you are right shot placement is the key to stopping them, in short order. They are tough critters and will or can get away and hide, if poorly hit. Bill K
Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 AM

I agree 260Ackley.

I have seen them walk up the road at night where I thought for a moment it could be a fox and I have seen them up close and personal where they look like a small shepherd. But its not uncommon for them to be over 50 and some really huge ones pushing 70.

This makes some question the 17 hmr in these parts but then again these are the same people with the mentality that they need to use a 30/06 with 180gr bullets for whitetails and call a .243 a pop gun.