Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Sako L46 Ring Question

Hi,
I tried researching this some on my own but did not find a definitive answer so far.

Are there any currently made rings that will mate right up to the receiver of a Sako L46 without using some kind of adapter or cranking a setscrew down onto the top of the receiver's integral scope mounts?

Thanks,

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 PM

Leupold Sako Ring Mounts, 1.0" or 30 mm.

https://www.leupold.com/product-seri...gmounts?page=2
Old 10-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Talley makes a real nice base set but you have to use Talley rings with them. It makes a good looking mount. At Guns International, there's a guy with all sorts of brand new original Sako rings. I think it's Mike's Custom Shop. You can just search under Sako and they will come up.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Lots of the old direct mount Sako rings on ebay and other sales sites. The Leupold rings are a good option that are currently made. I have three sets of them and the scope has always started out well centered.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:19 PM

There are several factors to consider. First, the original Sako mounts that clamp on to the tapered dovetail were only made in 1.0" ring size. The Leupold ring mounts that also clamp on to the tapered dovetail are available in both 1.0" ad 30 mm. ring size. A number of Sako owners prefer the Leupold mounts to the original Sako mounts because they permit more flexibility in ring spacing. This is because the original Sako mounts have a protrusion at the back of the bottom of the rear mount that drops into a recess in the receiver, thus dictating the position of the rear mount. The Leupold mounts don't have this protrusion, and this fact allows flexibility in positioning of the rear mount. Some Sako owners simply file off the protrusion to allow greater flexibility in the positioning. The one advantage of the Sako mounts (if you're mounting a 1.0" scope) is that they have windage adjustment.

Another option is the newer Sako Optilock mounts--available in both 1.0" and 30 mm.--that use a two-piece base/ring setup. They too have windage adjustment (and also the rear base protrusion that limits flexibility), but they seem over-engineered to me, requiring bases that clamp on to the dovetail, and rings that drop into the bases. Given the excellently-conceived integral tapered dovetail scope-mounting system machined into the Sako receivers (starting with the L46 action and continuing to the present 85s), the use of bases just seems redundant to me when it's so easy just to clamp rings directly onto the already-existing dovetail.

I've used both the original Sako mounts and the Leupolds and I think I prefer the Leupolds for their greater flexibility. I haven't needed the external windage adjustment in the Sako mounts.

One good source for original Sako mounts (as well as used Sako rifles and some parts) is SakoSource:

https://www.sakosource.com/scopes.html

Last edited by South Pender; 10-17-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Default L46 rings

If your going period correct on the rings be careful, 1" is not the only size you'll run across. The 1" rings will usually be stamped 25.4, they also make 26.0mm and some sellers call them 1".
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 PM

I think that the Leupold Sako mounts sound good. Lately I have been thinking of getting a more vintage rifle. I passed up an L46 many years ago and regret it even though I shoot LH. I got confused when looking at Sako rings and found this Optilock stuff. I thought that maybe all current rings for Sako were maybe made for this system with nothing to fit the older integral mounts. Now that I see that I can get rings specifically for the older rifles, I will keep my eye out for an L46. If I had found that there were none available, I would have ruled the L46 out. I don't use adapters or put scope mounts on top of scope mounts.

Thanks for the help,

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I think that the Leupold Sako mounts sound good. Lately I have been thinking of getting a more vintage rifle. I passed up an L46 many years ago and regret it even though I shoot LH. I got confused when looking at Sako rings and found this Optilock stuff. I thought that maybe all current rings for Sako were maybe made for this system with nothing to fit the older integral mounts. Now that I see that I can get rings specifically for the older rifles, I will keep my eye out for an L46. If I had found that there were none available, I would have ruled the L46 out. I don't use adapters or put scope mounts on top of scope mounts.

Thanks for the help,

Danny
Danny, There are tons of L46 Sakos out there. Actually it wasn't the first Sako centerfire action; the L42 that came out in 1942 was, but was chambered only in the 7x33mm. Sako cartridge, and you'll probably never see one for sale now.

The L46, introduced in 1946, was chambered for a number of cartridges--5.6x25mmR, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .222 Rem., .222 Rem. Mag., 25-20 Win., 7x33mm Sako, and 32-20 Win.--with the vast majority of the L46s in .222 Rem. This action was succeeded in 1961 by the L461.

The L46s were marked Riihimäki on the left side of the receiver, Riihimäki being the town in which the Sako factory was located. And that's how they are described in used-gun ads today: "Sako Riihimäki." This designation ceased in 1961 with the introduction of the L461 action and rifles designated "Vixen."

On any given day, you'll find probably 20-30 used L46 rifles (almost all in .222 Rem.) on the various gun sites: Gunbroker, Guns International, Guns America, and others. So if you have an L46 itch, it should be easy to scratch! Many hard-core Sako aficionados prefer the L46 action over all others largely because of the amount of hand work present and outstanding fit and finish in the wonderful rifles built on this action.