Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbill56 View Post
I can already see the birth of a 17HH improved. Just run a 17AH reamer in just enough to change the shoulder of the HH chamber. Then you could fire HH ammo or used your fireformed improved cases.
I'm going to refer to this improved cartridge as the 17HHBI
(Hornady Hornet Bill Improved)......
Bill
I think it's gonna have to be the .17HHBIIBD Bill. That would be the "Hornady Hornet Bill Improved Idea By Doug" cause I said it first .
We'll argue over the name later you just get Dave Kiff started on that reamer .
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
I think it's gonna have to be the .17HHBIIBD Bill. That would be the "Hornady Hornet Bill Improved Idea By Doug" cause I said it first .
We'll argue over the name later you just get Dave Kiff started on that reamer .
How about 17 HHSI....Hornady Hornet Saubier Improved

I like it.
Bill
Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Supporting Member

Me too .
Who knows, it might be a fine design as is. I hope it is cause I'd really like to see it be a big success for Hornady and whoever steps up to the pump to produce it, like CZ or maybe CZ or even better yet CZ . Here's hoping it has a reasonable throat length and magazines are produced long enough to allow some seating depth choices that reach the lands and still feed from the magazine.
Ain't asking for much am I??
Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefadel View Post
How do you change a 17 AH to a 17 HH?
thanks
Dave
Dave I think the first couple of posters pretty much hit the nail on the head. Remove the barrel and run a reamer in until it cleans up the old chamber. They will be more correct than me but I’ll roll the dice and say that you will lose only a small amount of barrel length, <1/2”.

I don’t think anyone really has any hard facts right now as far as case capacity OL length, body taper and so on unless the person who has a reamer ordered will give us that info.

Yes I agree that the case capacity appears to be less from the photos we have all seen but as others have pointed out in saying that you are downgrading to a 17 HH I do not really see it that way…I think you should follow your gut feeling and live your own dreams while keeping an open mind to everything these guys say.

According to Hodgdon’s web site 1 grain less powder with the 20 gr v-max = -69 fps…. It was the only load where there was a full grain difference between the top and bottom.

I always say that the reason I messed with any small calibers is because my lawnmower wouldn’t start… hey, I figure once excuse is just as good as the next…..
Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I think GW is onto something there, with the capacity being less, doesn't necessarily mean it will be all that much slower.

I think this could be proven with a Mink cartridge. Some of the guys here that shoot a 17 mink could maybe shed some light on this.

I have a 20 mink, and I can get up to about 3050fps with about 9.8 gr of powder, using a 32 gr vmax. I think a 17 Mink, would just about be the cat's meow!

I really can't wait to see if CZ brings one of these out(17HH)...I would own it in a minute. With factory ammo available, it could be neck sized with several of the dies I own.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Supporting Member

I agree about the velocity question. If you go to the Hodgdon load data the .17 Ackley Hornet is showed with a max 20 grain velocity that's a lot slower than Hornady is showing for their round.
There's a lot to be discovered yet but it'll happen. We'll all know soon and then the "personalizing" will begin.
The question about case wall thickness is a good one. On that I'm gonna guess they just use standard Hornet thickness formed to their design, a little thicker would be neat though.
When's the "Shot Show" anyway?
Once again "Kudos To Hornady"!!!

Last edited by montdoug; 12-28-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinIA View Post
You wouldn't be cutting an inch off the case Wally, You would be cutting an inch from the barrel to remove the old chamber. The case would still be 1.4" on the new one, but less capacity due to the shoulder angle differences.

Larry
Sorry Larry
Still reading posts with one poor eye and one blood filed eye and of course i am almost as old as Kenbro.
Wally
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
and here's mine. I don't think it will fireform without problems. My experience in forming 17AH has taught me a hard lesson about how critical it is to headspace off the shoulder. Some will tell you that it being a rimmed case it will headspace off the rim so as long as it fits it will fireform. Trying that first time out mine formed, sorta, lots of splits at the case shoulder junction. Forget about trying to FL, 50% split at the neck. Annealed cases(ones that survived) only split after the 3rd firing....lesson learned. Now I size off the shoulder, stout fireforming load, straight to anneal, problem free cases were the result. With the shorter length, tapered case, lax shoulder angle, it will definitely fit, I just don't think you'll like the results long term.
Sorry Chuck i must dissagree from my experiance i have set up my bolt/chamber face freeplay to Nil ie the rim is firmly held against the chamber face and the bolt with no space.
The rim thicknes on all my cases is a max of 0.061" and not to 0.065" to 0/072" that the specs say and my bolt has been machined to a gap of 0.060" between it and chamber face and then my form dies adjusted to a light crush fit so the case cannot move during fire forming then i anneal the head and shoulder of the case and set base down on a metal plate to cool before i form i have only lost i case to split shoulders since i do it this way
Before i annealed i also lost over 50% of cases i have now formed 250+ r&p 300+ ww 60 rws 90 hornady (fronteir ) and it works for me
Wally
Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default lots of mind power going to waste here......

......until we have an actual sample of production ammo our thoughts are like a car engine reving up and the transmission is still in neutral.
I believe the efficiency of the case whether it be a Ackley Hornet or the new 'less capacity' [said to be?] case won't matter. Either case in this 'proximity' of capacity will exibit great efficiency with the powder charge, whether it be 11 grains or 12 grains! The 11 grain charge in a slightly smaller case will still give great velocity for 20 grain bullets. And....you KNOW how much I like the 17AH.
But....we're still in 'N' until the production ammo starts spitting off the line and we have it to play with.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

Napkin millionaires, and napkin engineers

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office