Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Rat Patch Fun w/my 1885 Low Wall K-Hornet

Not too long ago, we had three FEET of snow here, to be closely followed by seemingly endless days of clouds then rain. So most about these parts have been whining to get out for springtime squirrels. Well, the weather sort of broke (meaning it'll only rain half the day), so we headed out to the ranch in eastern Orygun for a few days of fun with our favorite rodent, Skippy the Flying Squirrel.

Normally HB rifles off the bench is the rule, but this time I wanted to give my Browning 1885 Low Wall in K-Hornet some field time. I usually use it for local walkabout rock chucks when the range will be under 200 yards, but it did quite well thank you, on squirrels out just past 225 yards.

I was using the 30gr Varmint Grenade over 1680 for 3,350 fps. Terminal effects on the rats was "vivid" to say the least (grin).

The trigger has been tweaked by my trusty local smith, and with my usual load/bullet, this little rifle shoots under 1/4".....much better than it should, but it does.

I know Doug here has killer wood on his 1885, so I thought I'd toss in this pic of mine. Nothing exceptional, but nice for a factory offering.

On this trip, after some quality time with my little Hornet, it made me realize why these small calibers are again so popular. They're just plain FUN! No recoil, see virtually all your hits, cheaper to shoot (handloads) than the zippy rimfires, and IMHO, more accurate.

My primary rat rifle on this trip was my Cooper M38 in 20VT; my all-time favorite rat rifle caliber. But that's another story.... Now if we could get a few days of sunshine, it'll be off for morning walkabouts for rock chucks toting "Scooter", my 20VT. I LOVE springtime!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 PM

Very fine looking rifle Rick, wood and all, love the color and grain. Glad you had some shooting finally. Hopefully the weather will warm for all of us, in our various parts of the country and we all can start giving flying lessons. Thanks for the photo's and story. Bill K
Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Mighty nice Rick, glad you got out to pop a few dozen.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-16-2019, 05:53 AM

Nice group from that rifle.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Great thread Ric.....

The 22 K Hornet is really a great little cartridge.I remember when I first read my chronograph when loading the 42 grain Calhoon and thought this is like a mini 222 with less powder.It definitely has its place.Your rifle sure is a beauty,glad you got out in between the rain drops
Matt
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member

Yer making me jealous Rick! Spring comes a lot slower up here, I've only seen one gopher is a barrow pit and one providing some magpie's a little roadkill lunch "ah-la-gopher".
Here's a picture of sorts of mine in my gunsmith's parking lot after getting my trigger tweaked as well, as usual but for real that is a crummy picture taken late in the day. As to the great wood Rick, I think your thinking Screaminweasil. Around Christmas when he showed his (Beautiful wood) and you posted the picture of yours I went mad and found one just about to finish up at Auction on GunBroker so I slid in a bid and I won. But as to wood I think yours is better than mine or a push at best Screaminweasil has wood!

I haven't even fired this critter yet but I sure hope it's near the shooter yours is. I need to get to the range but it'd be mud and mirage out there now but at least we're close, only had about 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground this morning when we got up, "Sigh".
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 PM

Rick, what portable bench setup is that?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Good to see and hear from you RIO, you too Mr. Doug!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Very nice Rick!

Is it ever going to stop raining?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Very nice Rick!

Is it ever going to stop raining?
Are you into weather still, like me down here ? One day half way decent then like this morning back to snow and overcast. GRRRR. Bill K