Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 PM

In my opinion, the key to having an accurate 22 Hornet is to fire form to that rifle's chamber and then neck size only when reloading. The capacity of the brass varies widely (over 1 grain) between manufacturers, so pick one brand and stick with it to keep things simple for you. There are lots of Hornet loads posted here over the years. Try several powders and primers, and find out what your rifle likes.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:34 PM

I have a ruger 77/22 Hornet that will put its 6-round magazine into 1/2" at 100. I suspect not many rugers will do this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Appreciate the input guys. Will keep my eyes open for a possible donor rifle for the project.
If you're going to build something, check out the howa mini action. These are nice donors because the receiver is relatively small, well made, and inexpensive. I also wanted a repeater hornet, and this is what I came up with:

http://saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34387

Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Ruger 77 K hornet
Several Browning A bolt Micros...19 calhoon...22 mink.....19 calhoon

All easy 1/2 Moa

Buy my Browning Abolt in 22 mink thats in the classifieds for sale....ream it to 22 hornet and you wont find one much better.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

I know how much fun it is to "build" something.

But the CZ 527 Lux (sporter weight barrel, euro stock) .22 Hornet I got (cheap!) used and ABUSED from a pawn shop now shoots measured .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with neck sized only reloads. All it needed was a very thorough cleaning, a new Zeiss scope and good mounts, the first try at hand loading with some 1X brass knocked my socks off (46 gr Win. HP, 10 gr. H110, CCI small pistol primers). And I used a freaking antique "Ideal" TONG TOOL to do that first batch of reloads. It got better when I used Redding dies, a micrometer seater & etc.

Even the CZ 527 7.62x39 carbine I got (also used) shoots 5 rounds well under an inch with good hand loads.

Building things is fun... See further up thread for someone who realized that when the "donor" is allready driving tacks, why bother?

Last edited by bert2368; 09-15-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:59 PM

About ten years ago, I bought a used CZ American in .22 Hornet at a local shop, it was "used and abused", too. I bought some LEE dies and a factory crimp die, and some 6.5 Remington primers. It is NOT a 1/2" rifle, but is a good, solid 3/4" rifle on most days. That's about as good as I can see any more. Some days it will gift me a 1/2" group, but not often. Again, my eyesight ain't what it used to be. I just barely size the neck of the case, maybe an 1/8" gets sized, and it gets crimped solidly. Using 1680 powder and 34gr. Midsouth HPs, it makes me happy.
It's a Hornet, and that's pretty good for a Hornet, especially since I'm not working hard at it. It's fun to shoot, and that's all I'm worried about these days.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Supporting Member

I have had a number of 22 H that would do better than .5 MOA out to 300 yards. Browning Micros, a few CZs and a couple of Anschutz along with some Bruno and Walther rifles. I have previously posted groups from the Browning, here is a copy of that post from another thread. Biggest trick is to find the right load in a quality made gun. Hornets are FAR more accurate than most people give them credit for, as long as you hand load for them.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35806

Quote:
There is no doubt the 40 grain Vmax/Blitzking is the sweet spot between accuracy, speed and range. I have tried the 50 grain SPSX and they are very accurate but I don't find they buck the wind any better and they drop at least 300 fps off the 3100 I can get the 40 Blitzking/Vmax to with 12.6 of Lil'Gun, WW cases, and Fed Small Pistol primers. I have posted this picture before but to me it says everything you need to know to be comfortable to 300 yards or more on gophers with the 22 hornet. It will consistently shoot these kinds of groups.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM

I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet varmint that went to CPC and came back as a 1/2 MOA 22 K-Hornet. Most of the time I get 1" groups at 200 yards with it. Feeds like butter using 17 Hornady Hornet magazines.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Don't have any experience with hornets but have been told brass is frail. There are also shortened variants if you after the milder report a 20 squirrel comes to mind.

Also I recently played with one of those now discontinued TCM rifles and wondered if they would make a good small action rifle with a little work. I converted one to 9mm and it shoots decently. I'm sure with the action squared up, a real recoil lug installed and inletted and a quality barrel it could make for a fun 20 tcm host or 20 shrew even.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 PM

Default Hornet

I have two Anschutz 1730 rifles. The heavy barrel is close to 1/2”. Maybe a good shooter could get it there. The sporter barrel is slightly less accurate, about 3/4”.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 AM

I have a two Zkw 465's one a 17 Ackley hornet and the other a 22 K hornet on the original brno barrel. Both do way better than 1/2". They are both 1949 models.
Every ZKW 465 I have ever seen was a shooter.
C