Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Default A Favor from Owners of Sako L-46s in .222 and .218 Bee

Yet another project has started at the TBR household (using passive voice to divert responsibility for starting yet another project when a dozen other pending projects await my attention ). I have a very nice L-46 .222 Rem with machined bottom metal but modified stock and slightly damaged barrel. I also have a nice Shilen Select Match .224" barrel blank looking for a home. Instead of replicating just another .222, I want to do something different.

My initial thought was .221 FB, as I am set up for that cartridge, I really like it, and the existing magazine would work fine, but then I started feeling the sting of the even cuter and cooler .218 Bee, for which I am also well situated, and for which I have only one rifle, a Dakota Model 10 I rebarreled (yes, I'm spoiled with an embarrassment of riches...aren't we all?).

Obviously, we have the issue of a magazine, for which I have a plan, but I'm thinking all else I need to do is open up and deepen the bolt face to match the larger diameter and thicker Bee case rim. The only other possible issue I can think of is the shallower Bee rim groove, which might also require slight contouring of the extractor tip...although the more protruding Bee rim may help here.

So, my question is, for those who happen to own an L-46 in .222 and are lucky enough to also own one in .218 Bee (or, dare I ask, a .25-20?), what differences do you see in the bolt, the extractor, the chamber mouth, or anything else? Again, I am aware of the magazine issues, but I think my idea on that has a good chance of success.

I look forward to your replies.

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 09-26-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:54 PM

Sent you a PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Rechambering

Not trying to be contentious, but why not go with a 20-222 (or Duster, etc). Mag length will be the same and not involve any special machining. I realize that it is not an exotic or old time favorite, but will simplify your issues.

I have two L461 actions chambered in 17 AH and 17 MKIV that cannot be loaded from the magazine. My frustration with the older SAKO actions is not being able to get the trigger light enough without spending a lot of $ on a replacement trigger. Not your problem, but thought I would throw that out as another issue.

Sorry if these comments only annoy you.

Chuck
Old 11-21-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
Not trying to be contentious, but why not go with a 20-222 (or Duster, etc). Mag length will be the same and not involve any special machining. I realize that it is not an exotic or old time favorite, but will simplify your issues.

I have two L461 actions chambered in 17 AH and 17 MKIV that cannot be loaded from the magazine. My frustration with the older SAKO actions is not being able to get the trigger light enough without spending a lot of $ on a replacement trigger. Not your problem, but thought I would throw that out as another issue.

Sorry if these comments only annoy you.

Chuck
Yes, or .20 Var Targ Turbo...