Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Default .17 Rem- For you AR guys...

wanted to share my latest project with you all...

.17 Rem 20" match barrel 1/10 twist SS bead blasted mid length
AP Custom carbon fiber free float hand guard. Daniel Defense NiB BGC. Burris Signature 4-16. Burris PPER mount. Magpul STR stock and MOE grip. Lower is a Double Star w/ Rock River 2 stage national match trigger.
This will be my calling rifle this season. I don't plan to retire the CZ but this one will be fun!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 PM

So how does it shoot? Haven't had much time to work up a load for it but preliminary groups show strong promise. First groups w/ factory 25gr HP Rem were ok, about 1" consistently. I don't really care for the Rem factory stuff in my .17's. But the factory 20gr Accutips shot pretty good. Group measured with mitituyo caliper and deducted bullet diameter:

I think barrel is going to love 20 Vmaxes!

Next I tried some hand loads w/ Berger 25gr Match HP, 27.0gr Win 760, Rem 7.5 primers. This one show real promise. The first three grouped together and somehow I managed to pull the other two out of the group. Oh well..

All in all pretty happy for very little barrel break in. Should hold minute of coyote no problem. Haven't chrono'd these loads so I don't know how much velocity I am losing with the 20" barrel, but for a calling stand rifle it will be pretty handy.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM

I love how my AR-17 shoots. However, at nearly $.50 a pop I hate how it chucks brass into the next county.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by six 4 sure View Post
I love how my AR-17 shoots. However, at nearly $.50 a pop I hate how it chucks brass into the next county.
I feel your pain. I will be using a brass catcher for sure!! That and ARs are really hard on brass so I am dedicating some brass just for this gun. If I were to do another one like it I would probably do a 17/223 so I could neck down Lake City brass and not worry if some of them end up in the snow.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 AM

Default barrel

Barrel make and twist?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 AM

Upper is a Prairie Tactical with a 1/10" twist. Barrels are made for his company but he wont release the name of the maker. Great quality though. I would prefer a 9"twist but I only plan to shoot up to 25gr bullets so it's no big deal for me. I think he can do 9 twist barrels but this was what he had when I got the upper. I have no business interest on the company just a happy customer.
http://www.ptacarms.com/home.html
Here's the website for his uppers. Real good stuff.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Default .17 Rem-AR

Peeked my interest and checked out the site. Just might have to look into one, most likely the 204 R. Bill K
Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 AM

For sure! I have been kicking around the idea of 6.5 Grendel build. Good quality and as the targets can attest they will shoot! I am getting consistent sub inch accuracy and have barely even started working on loads for it. Awesome business to deal with as well. Top notch.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 PM

if you need someone to test this gun for you just let me know i have a load a free time at the min
Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 PM

That is a good shooter, but please don't post vendors websites as I don't need another 17 cal or another AR. If I say that enough times....