Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-18-2022, 04:45 PM

There is a tool to iron out burrs in a 22lr chamber that has been peened by the firing pin. I believe Brownell's should carry it. i have an old Remington 541-S that had been shot a lot. It did not have a firing pin spring like the later versions of that rifle.

Also, the 1992 edition of the old Gun Digest has a very good article about 22lr chambers that was written the former Tech Editor of American Rifleman, C. E. Harris.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:04 AM

Last I heard only Tandemkross still sold those chamber "irons", at least that's what some folks on RFC had found.

https://www.tandemkross.com/ChamberM...erIroningSwage

If you can't find one elsewhere they do have them.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:14 AM

There's a guy at our club that has either Lapua or Ely make custom ammo for his rifle. IIRC, he buys 25,000 at a time. Just a WAG here but I assume his chamber is cut for this ammo. Your rifle may be in the same condition.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:53 PM

Chamber iron. Uses a chamber iron to fix the displaced metal from rimfire striker impact.

We had to build one at Gunsmith school. It irons the metal back in place. It doesn't cut out the displaced metal. Cutting with a reamer or file leaves a depression which can allow the rim to blow out, so the instructor said.

Used it a lot on old guns, not so much on modern guns.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Chamber iron. Uses a chamber iron to fix the displaced metal from rimfire striker impact.

We had to build one at Gunsmith school. It irons the metal back in place. It doesn't cut out the displaced metal. Cutting with a reamer or file leaves a depression which can allow the rim to blow out, so the instructor said.

Used it a lot on old guns, not so much on modern guns.
Looks like you apply some force and spin the chamber iron?

Could a nailset be made to work? Oil up the nailset and judiciously tap with a hammer or would that be nono?

Could probably find a way to spin a nailset.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 05-19-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
Looks like you apply some force and spin the chamber iron?

Could a nailset be made to work? Oil up the nailset and judiciously tap with a hammer or would that be nono?

Could probably find a way to spin a nailset.
A nail set would probably work if used carefully. It's end would likely be inside the barrel near the barrel rifling while you're using it unless you cut the extra off to duplicate the "real thing".

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-25-2022, 11:09 PM

You got lots of advise here, most of it bad.
This seems to be a match rifle, it should chamber any match ammo, specifically Lapua or ELEY.
Before you screw with this gun, a few thoughts.
I would guess, the camber is fouled badly, maybe some corrosion.
First, clean the barrel with a good RF solvent and a bronze brush. When done get some C4 carbon cutter…often there is hard carbon/lead in the throat. Follow directions….only for throat.
That may very well do it but as stated,check the radius of the chamber for a burr.

P.S. Lapua & Eley do not make custom for anybody, including olympic teams.
You might buy most of a given lot….but it is a production lot made to THEIR specs.
I know a lot about these guns, have been shooting IR50/50 since 1980’s and sit way up in the gold HOF , winning state, regional, national champs.
There’s lots of ways to screw up these guns.

Last edited by tim simbari; 05-26-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim simbari View Post
This seems to be a match rifle, it should chamber any match ammo, specifically Lapua or ELEY.
First, clean the barrel with a good RF solvent and a bronze brush. When done get some C4 carbon cutter…often there is hard carbon/lead in the throat. Follow directions….only for throat.
That may very well do it but as stated,check the radius of the chamber for a burr.

You might buy most of a given lot….but it is a production lot maid to THEIR specs.
I know a lot about these guns, have been shooting IR50/50 since 1980’s and sit way up in the gold HOF , winning state, regional, national champs.
THIS! ^^^^^^^^^

Good Lord, people.......
Old 05-26-2022, 01:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim simbari View Post

You might buy most of a given lot….but it is a production lot maid to THEIR specs.
My take on this is that perhaps it was already screwed up. If the OP is clueless, I would hope that he has enough sense to ultimately get the rifle examined by someone who does know and can recognize a problem before doing anything with it himself.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-26-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ45 View Post
This was an estate purchase. Owner was a national champion early 2000s iirc. He called this 001xx Swindlehurst rig "Spanky".....
I was going to shoot a fun match, so grabbed some Lap Red Box, Eley Black and Rem Green w Eley on label .
NONE would chamber. Best l can guess is maybe 2.5mm worth would start but absolutely would go no further.
I asked a few rf shooters at the mixed match and one had an idea.
I will never compete even semi seriously w it. Selling is an option awa altering to shoot reasonable quality ammo.
Solutions are solicited.
Virtually all real 22RF 'match' and BR chambers force the driving band of bullet into the rifling when the bolt is closed.....they don't just 'plunk' into the chamber like a normal 22LR does.

The amount of rifling engagement differs as these specialized chambers are done for specific ammo. That's where swapping ammo back and forth in chambers on real-deal 22LR target rifles can at times pose a problem.

It's probable that there's nothing whatsoever 'wrong' with the chamber. Be aware that these target chambers may require the occasional use of a toothed little tool to remove the carbon and leading in the throat with "may" being the important word, here.

Inspecting the chamber/throat with a borescope and identifying and correcting any cleaning-related issues is the first thing to do. If you have any questions, get the gun into the hands of someone that knows RF target chambers and builds these guns to help you out.

These guns are specific and extremely specialized. Leave any nail setters, punches, hammers, trowels, etc. in the toolbox....

This chart shows just a few of the different reamers that PTG has for specific ammo. There are many, many more variations! You can easily see the significant differences that can give issues when mixing different ammo and chambers:

Good shootin' -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 05-26-2022 at 02:12 PM.