Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 PM

Default custom TC barrels

I want to thank Larry in Iowa for the help he gave me the other day. He squared me away on fire form loads for the 22 K-hornet. Thanks! Now to my question. I am going to buy a G2 frame and two custom barrels. One is going to be a 22K-hornet and the other is going to be a 357 maximum. I am going to order them from either Bullberry, MGM, or SSK. Anyone here have experience with any of these companies? Thanks. Chris
Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Custom TC Barrels

I have/have had both SSK and MGM Contender/Encore barrels and have shot several Bullberry barrels. All gave very good to outstanding results. Don't see how you could go wrong with any of them. My MGM .17 MK4 Contender barrel is one of the most accurate sporting (non-benchrest) barrels that I have ever owned. It will shoot right along with my best bolt Remington and Savage varmint rifles with custom barrels. Good shooting! Vic
Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 PM

I have several Bullberry barrels and One Virgin Valley the predecessor of MGM, same guys. All the Bullberry are 100 % top notch, good shooters, good chambers. I do have a 22K H & a 357 max from Bullberry. The only downside to Bullberry is his waiting time after you place your order but other than that they have treated me very well.

My one Virgin Vally is a 17 AH, the throat is a mile long and the chamber was rough. There is a reason I only have one. My Bullberry 20" 17AH has a chamber matched to Redding dies and the 20 gr V max. I remember Fred asked me when I ordered it what bullets I planned to use. He really did a great job on that chamber and its shooting is the proof.

I do not have any SSK but wish I did. I have friends that have them and they are great shooting barrels. They are the most expensive of the bunch but turn around time is very good.

I also have a Van Horn 21" 221 barrel that is a very good shooter. I'm not even sure if he is still making barrels.

Good luck, the T/Cs are a lot of fun plus they shoot pretty good for what they are.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 PM

I have MGM barrels in 30-338, 22 Hornet and 221 Fireball and they are all incredibly accurate. Addidionally their customer service was great and they had a very reasonable turn around time (about 4 weeks). Lastly, their fit and finish is great! You wouldnt go wrong...

Eric
Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM

+1 on Bullberry and MGM customer service.Get a chamber spec on what you expect.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Love my Contender, I have Bullberry carbine barrels in 17 AH,and 17M4. Also have a 17HMR and a 22 mag on the way both from Bullberry.
They are excellent barrels, and his stock sets are nice too.

keep an eye on some of the classified boards , I just got an excellent deal on the two rimfire barrels which are lightly used.

Be careful though , I find them having pups in the safe.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
I also have a Van Horn 21" 221 barrel that is a very good shooter. I'm not even sure if he is still making barrels..
Dave is still going strong.

Mark
Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 PM

I have a SSK 17 ack hornet and its awesome. I would have a bullberry barrel in a minute. I have had nothing but problems with MGM barrels but thats just me. Some of my friends have MGM are happy with them. SSK and Bullberry do it right the first time and are quality.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 PM

One other option is Gary reeder in Flagstaff AZ.