Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default lot of good suggestions

The local range I use was once in the boonies, with all the urban sprawl luckily it was grandfathered. They set up screens because of all the AR/SK/AK Zombie killers and always kept a stack of milk crates for the benches without. They never allowed anything bigger than a 30 cal, no FMJ of any kind and have since even outlawed all 30cal which basically elimanated all the variants shooting the 7.62x39's. I only own a couple of rifles with brakes, a 6-284 and 6mmAI and have always moved down to the end benches and they are just not rifles you run a lot of ammo through. I have to admit that it did make me giggle a little when I would touch off my Vais breaked 6-284 and a couple of cars in the parking lot would start yowling and headlights blinking. Having been sprayed by some errant AK's or AR's usually a courteous word to the offender or handing him a milk crate handled the problem. If not, a word to the rangemaster handled it. I'm surprised that if it's a police range that they don't have something in place to deal with that.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

Default not too good

sounds like range shooting is not a lot of fun, never been to a range. i dont have neighbors so i just built a heavy wood bench and shoot off the front porch,limited to a little over 165yd.i could drive a few minutes to a coal strip job and shoot a few thousand yards but i never see anything over a couple hundred yards anyway. so i'll just shoot from the porch.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM

Default Range Woes

Wow, after reading all these posts, it made me remember just why I quit going to our local range, 20 miles away.

I too got tired of inconsiderate individuals with brakes, brass sprayers, the zombie killers and endless questions or chat wasting my time when I'm trying to concentrate on load development or chrono work.

But I'm fortunate enough like some others here to have endless tracts of BLM land very close by to take my portable field bench (BR Pivot), chrono, target stand and range gear out into the junipers and have my "private range" all to myself without bothering anyone or anyone bothering me.

It's a very rewarding and enjoyable day spent by myself out in the desert concentrating on just shooting well, with only the birds singing, the occasional bunny hopping by, the sun shining and hopefully, some bughole groups as a result to put a smile on my face. Don't think I'll ever miss a public range again.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM

I've belong to a large rifle club (over 2000 members) outside of Sherwood Oregon since 1974. It's a private club, but allows the local LE to train there. I've seen more than my share of bozos over the decades, but the clup tries to mitigate their impact. At the 100 yard line, the far 10 positions are for those that are shooting rifles with muzzle breaks, and no 50 BMGs are allowed on any of the ranges.

My thought is that noise is to be expected, but showering someome with hot brass is rude.

John
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
A Cooper would be nice. This is a Savage mod. 25. Couldn't wait for the CZ.
Burt
Oh geez, I have Cooper on the brain. My bad.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Default flying brass

Johnly; You are correct, if you are shooting any auto loader it is on YOU to watch where your brass is flying. People will gladly trade places with you. sgtg
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM

One thing is clear, those of us fortunate enough to have our own ranges, should be VERY thankful. If any members live close enough to make use of mine (zip 97065) just PM me. Nothing fancy, bench and 100, 200 and 300 yard targets.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Ramos - That is generous of you ....... wish I were closer.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Another little thing I did at the range and it was again just to make things easy for me. I have some AR's that do the standard ejection thing but these are specials with small very special brass in 17 and 22 caliber and one in 25 caliber. I found that I could drape an old dish towel over the scope allowing plenty of material to drop below the ejection port and it stopped the brass right there. This brass is very small, like the 17X30 stuff, and if I didn't come up with a way to stop it, the brass would get lost in the grass. None of the rifles have brakes or flash hiders since these were not meant to be Rambo rifles except one odd one that was a test setup for a friend. The 25 caliber was actually a rimless 256 Winchester Magnum with an 11.5" barrel and to make the barrel 16" I had an extension made of tubular steel welded to the the barrel that looked kinda like a suppressor with no slots on the sides and helped to make all the noise and gas go straight forward down range. With the dish towel over the scope and covering the ejection port I kept the brass out of other people's hair and went home with every piece of brass that I had to make by hand. With reloading stuff getting hard to come by I try to hang onto every piece of brass I use, especially the hard to make pieces. I honestly didn't realize I was making life a little easier for the person next to me at the range.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 PM

I don't shoot AR's, bit if I did, I wouldn't be throwing brass outsid of my zone...if there was nobody next to me...thats common sense.
I shoot a muzzle brake on 325WSM only when the range isn't busy and if gets busy...I warn anyone setting up next to me that I have a muzzle brake. If it gets incredibly busy - I might put it away

If someone decides to set-up next to me with a muzzle brake...I don't have any choice - and either stay or go.
If soemone setts-up and starts throwing brass at me...then he's going to get a verbal warning...and gets reported to the club if it contiunes.

G'day
Al

Tags
etiquette, manners, range