Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-06-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Why don't you lube the insides of the necks when you use a bushing style die? That is the first time I have heard that, but I like the sound of it Danny
On a bushing style die, the decapping pin retainer (which is the expander in their regular dies) is smaller in diameter than the neck I.D. so it doesn't touch the inside of the neck. Redding Type 'S' full length bushing dies come with both a standard expander and the reduced diameter unit.

On non-bushing style Redding dies, you can change the standard expander to a floating carbide ball that makes a huge difference...no need to lube the neck I.D.'s with these, either. Plus, they are easier on the neck I.D.'s. than a normal expander, even if it's lubed. With the carbide expander ball, you don't want to clean the inside of the neck...the carbon makes a nice surface for the carbide to glide over.

I have several sets of Redding dies with the floating carbide ball expanders...a great upgrade.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 01-06-2021, 02:11 PM

I use powdered graphite for lubing necks. Works slick. I got an empty snuff can from a buddy who chews, and filled it about 3/4 full with No.9 shot, then dump in some powdered graphite. Put the lid on and shake it up to distribute the graphite all over the shot. Remove the lid and just push the mouth of the case to be lubed into the shot. That coats both the ID and OD of the case at the same time. Perfect for neck sizing.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I use a Redding 3 dies set, FL regular die, NK bushing die and seating die. I never use the FL die unless I get once fired brass from somewhere. All my own brass just gets neck sized. Especially in factory chambers, the neck bushing die will be helpful so you aren't squeezing the neck down more than you need to. It only needs to be necked 2 or 3 thou more than the fired measurement. I get 25 firings per case very easily and I don't anneal.

Other big plus, if you buy the extra bushings you can use it to neck size your 221 FB brass too.
Exactly - I neck size everything, never FL size any cases. If I don't have a neck sizing die, or bushing necking die, I set the FL die to barely size the neck only, never touch the shoulder, except on range picked up or mooched brass & then only until they will chamber with "feel" on the bolt handle.
On varmint ctgs. I only size 1/2 the neck at any time. The resulting double shoulder seems to help with accuracy, in the .22 Hornet, .218Bee as well as in the .17AH and .17Rem. I have bushing neck dies for each of those last two.
I have never had to "bump" a shoulder on brass that came out of my rifles.
I can see BR shooters having to do this with extra-hot loads. My loads have been called that, however, I've never had to do anything but neck size. Go figure.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
For the .17FB, I use Redding type S full length resizing dies along with the competition shell holder set. Micrometer head die for bullet seating.
What Hog Patrol said , good caliber choice I really like my .17 Fireball
Old 01-07-2021, 03:08 PM

- I neck size everything, never FL size any cases. If I don't have a neck sizing die, or bushing necking die, I set the FL die to barely size the neck only, never touch the shoulder, except on range picked up or mooched brass & then only until they will chamber with "feel" on the bolt handle.

This is what I do also, with just a set of FL dies in my 17 FB and 17 Rem. Bill K

Tags
17fireball, case reforming, dies