Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 03-07-2011, 02:52 AM

Default the ole bullet making thread

I have 15 years time in bullet making and lots of reference material that I will share with those getting started into bullet making. My experience and connections in bullet making along with the fine bullet makers on Small Caliber will make this topic worth coming back to.

Let's start with bullet making equipment - presses and dies and all the small stuff that makes bullet making desireable and more productive. This is an open Forum, worldwide. Let's get started.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 02-04-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Supporting Member

The "chum" is in the water!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Default Thanks Eddie

The last bullet making thread I helped write started out with 10 negative comments about bullet making before Gerry M rescued it and then allot of learning about bullet making began. Your comment Eddie is welcomed. I don't write this stuff for myself but eventually guys like Al Nyhus join in and a humm settles down on Small Caliber while real practical knowledge sets in. Bring on the bullet makers.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 02-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

I know a little about bullet making Well just enough to be dangerous. But do know there no voodoo involved, and thats its extremely satisfying to see bullets you make shoot well, but its also extremely monotonous. I should have listened to clint starke when it came to bullet making.

ML
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 AM

Default BUllet Making Equipment

For bullet making my equipment:

2 Rock Chucker Presses
1 A2 Press
Rorschach 22 cal Carbide Dies Set of 3
Simonson 6 mm Carbide Dies Set of 3
Wendell Croye Trays
CH core cutter

Like to hear what equipment you guys use.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 02-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Where Does One Begin Making Bullets

After you select your bullet making equipment you need a work place including basic tools.

Workspace
You know better than anybody how much space you have to give to bullet making. I have a 500 sq ft garage just enough room to have my bullet making cube in an open space. This allows me to mount 3 RCBS presses complete with modified rams to hold bullet making punches and each press has an ejector rack needed to operate the dies. I use 3 sides of my cubes to mount 3 presses. I have a side left for my Star loader and 2 lube sizers. I also have 2 core cutters mounted on opposite sides of my cube. My cube is made of 3/4 in plywood with 1 1/2" of plywood on the front. I mounted my Point-up press on this front section where most of the pressure comes in the final bullet making operation. Inside my cube I store my jackets, cases of jackets, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, anhydrous lanolin, TSP, vaseline, bullet trays, jacket/lube tumbling jars, bullet making dies, core and jacket cleaning pans, plastic boxes, and small stuff.

Tools and Stuff
First let me say this for bullet making you need dedicated tools. These are tools that never leave your work area. Not many tools. Open and box end wrenches, screw drivers, dental picks, spray cleaners/silicone, bowls for temporary holding jackets and cores, and paper towels.

Lighting and Chairs
Good lighting is necessary to see what your doing and keep things easy on your eyes, important while making bullets you will spend lots of time at the bench. I have 3 stations and 3 chairs. I move from station to station quickly and keep my concentration on making bullets not moving chairs.

Cleanliness
Cleanliness is always discussed in making bullets. Clean up regularly. Wipe your tables clean. Keep food and drink away from your work area. Lastly take a break when needed.

This is an overview of my operation, lets hear your's.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 01-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Supporting Member

Lee Cast press for squirting
B & M Clone horizontal press
George Ulrich 20 caliber carbide dies
David Deutsch 6mm Carbide dies
Jerrill Mattingly bullet trays

ML
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Default LEE Press

ML
I like your equipment list, unique and ingenious. Converted LEE presses are a good way to go. Other presses like the Redding Boss, Lyman Orange Crush, old CH, the big one, Pacific, the big one, and even a big Herters can be converted to bullet making presses. Bullet making presses need to have a modification to the rams, this allows the stationary bullet punches to be held in the ram. An ejection rack needs to be installed to operate the bullet making dies for example the core making die exerts massive pressure to take a raw core and swage it into a finished core, on a RCBS Rockchucker press like mine this is where I use the round ball on the handle to help with the great linkage the press has and I take a raw lead core bleed off 3 grns of lead and come up a near perfect core each time I work the handle, nothing is perfect. My A2 press and my 2 Rockchucker presses are down stroke presses. this along with the great linkage on RCBS presses allows maximum force with minimul effort on the bullet makers part thus a thousand cores can be squirted in say an hour and a half. I know from my original bullet making Thread that if George Ulrich is involved in your equipment everything is top cabin. My A2 press is a Bob White conversion. My other 2 RCBS Rockchucker presses were highly scrutinized by my bullet making mentor before he sent them my way.

Like the fact you are using bullet trays, new bullet makers when they can afford them need bullet trays. Then the phrase referring to bullet making as slower than watching paint dry on the wall goes out the door. I mentioned I have Wendell Croye bullet trays, I can stuff 1400 jackets/cores into my trays in about 20 minutes, I have 7 trays 200 size. You sound like a happy camper with your bullet making gear ML, help spread the word that $20-35 bullets don't have to be a prison sentence, be smart buy once never cry again at the retail store for buying bullets.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 06-14-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

I agree Now if I could only get Charlie Hood to make 20 caliber cores. I have about 5 lbs of cores left I squirted but when they are gone I'm not looking forward to making them again. Not included labor I'm into it for under $10/ box.

ML
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM

i have alot of interest in making bullets, and realizing that the dies are probably your biggest investment, do you buy them from the mfg themselves, or is there another source out there?
has there been any experimenting ( or reason to try) using a progressive press?
cam