Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 PM

After 'Foxhunter' posted his LG and W296 loads, I experimented with 296, with best loads in the CZ running up to 13.3gr.
I know this if over the book, but then so are the ballistics we are getting in these "new" Hornets with 'book' loads.
The modern guns are the only ones these loads should be used in.
Some, like the Savage m340 in Hornet can use up to 12.4gr. before getting sticky cases. Seems to me, we settled on 12.0gr. in that rifle & was running 3,000fps.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Supporting Member

Well since my plans have been changing due to weather (flooding) and many other things pulling different directions but I found myself working on getting things ready for the carpet installer tomorrow.... right next to my reloading room. I started thinking about my son’s very totally awesome browning grade 5 32-20 that he sent home with me last night to try out the Ramshot loads I shoot in mine.... then started thinking about this thread, my three k-hornets and what load(s) I shoot....

5/22/2005 (I know it’s been a while, how time gets away)
Hornady 45 gr. Hornet
13.3 gr lil gun (Hornady list 11.5 gr max)
6-1/2 primers (one row was gold, WSR, WSP or WSPM?)
COL 1.815” (Hornady list 1.75”)

Brass is old WW Super

Case necks has a little black on them.
Primers are flatten out a little bit beyond a nice radius. But not to the point I’d be overly concerned (using these types of primers). They look good.

Shoulder dia 2.87” to 2.875” on random samples.
Above web .295” to .2955”
Above rim 2.2905” to 2.292”

Another ammo box had about the same thing only used 45 gr bee bullets with 10.1 of 296 that said “TOO HOT”. That’s .2 grs over Hornady’s max.

I don’t recall anything but good memories of lil gun except it sticks to my plastic hopper. Actually only one powder ever scared me and that was N120 (I’m probably the only one who had issues with N120 but it is what it is.

I could of swore I only used 1680 in the K-Hornet and maybe I do... in Loaded ammo, I didn’t check.

I suspect this was shot from my first K-Hornet, the NEF cause it was well before I acquired a 14” contender but could have also been about the time I scored a K-Hornet for my TCR...