Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 02-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Reloading Question

Hi All,

I have to start using lead free bullets as of the 1st of July and I have some questions.

Since the lead free bullets are longer than lead bullets some of my rifles have twist rates that are too slow for the longer bullets therefore are useless in CA. Some of my rifles have fast enough twists but the magazine boxes and ejection ports are too short.

I have never loaded bullets with the base below the shoulder/neck junction and have no idea what to expect from cartridges loaded in this fashion. If there are no drawbacks to loading bullets with the base "into" the case then the new bullets could be used in the shorter mag box rifles.

Anyone have experience with cartridges loaded with the base of the bullet below the shoulder/neck junction?

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)
Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Marco: Being in commie California, I also will be using more lead free.
In load work up with Nosler lead free and also some lead free in both 17, 20 & 224, so far, you will find a load or two that work just fine in your rifles, slower or faster twist.
As for loading with the base below the neck, not a issue. You will loose some case capacity, but again you will just work up loads and find some that work as well and accurate in your rifle. Your just have to work up some new loads for them.. Then you will be ready for the varmint/hunting seasons, as usual. Bill K
Old 02-23-2019, 05:43 PM

Depending on what your loading, you may learn about the “donut” issues.
I will let others explain, as there are various was to deal with it.
I have shot some short throated rifles in the past with jacketed and cast. I was able to find good accuracy with them, though it would have been easier with the CB loads to have had them in the neck.
Jeff
Old 02-23-2019, 06:04 PM

Never had or seen a "donut issue" with seating a bullet. It usually is related to sizing down a neck to a small caliber. ?? Bill K
Old 02-23-2019, 08:02 PM

Didn’t see mention of what caliber he was shooting is why I threw it out there.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Never had or seen a "donut issue" with seating a bullet. It usually is related to sizing down a neck to a small caliber. ?? Bill K
I think it is usually associated more with neck-turned cases. Shows up at the bottom of a case neck after multiple firings, i.e., the case grows in length.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 02-24-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
I think it is usually associated more with neck-turned cases. Shows up at the bottom of a case neck after multiple firings, i.e., the case grows in length.
I realize that, but the understanding I had with the first comment was in regards to the donut showing up on seating a bullet, slightly longer and below the case neck. Which I have never heard or seen. Bill K
Old 02-24-2019, 03:50 PM

Bill, my thoughts were along the line of this.
Most or a lot of us seat out close to the lands/throat. He could have a donut and never notice it.
I had this happen some years back on a wildcat I was fooling with. I had shot it a fair bit with average weight bullets. It was a fast twist and I wanted to try some heavies. Had to seat them deeper and had all kinds of issues.

At that point in my life the only donuts I ever had I dunked in my coffee:-).

Sorry to cause any confusion.
Jeff
Old 02-24-2019, 04:39 PM

The biggest symptom of donuts is seating issues. Inconsistent.