Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Supporting Member

I agree with what Matt said on all accounts.

Like Drew said Hornady can make you a set and that’s where I got mine but they have gotten so expensive anymore although a good product. And I really like their laser engraving.

What I did was have a full length bushing die made up so I could use it for my 20 Killer Bee or either one of my 17 Killer Bees. And I neck size with a bushing die I made years ago.

The 20 Killer Bee is super awesome with the 32 gr bullets, you will see lots of red mist in the scope when shooting Pds
Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM

My three kb/ab's are on martini actions that I inherited from my dad, so I know that feeling of pride you are talking about. My opinion / advice on the dies, are to wait till your rifle is done and shoot a dozen rounds at least three or four times until you are sure the brass is fully formed , then send the brass to whidden or hornady or ? and have dies made. Their turnaround is pretty fast and you will know that the dies match the Chamber .

Last edited by chuckshooter; 05-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Supporting Member

I a #1 Its gonna be awesome ask GLWenzl to show pictures of his 17 Caliber version

Last edited by Mntngoat; 05-21-2019 at 01:39 PM. Reason: i kant spel
Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
I a #1 Its gonna be awesome ask GLWenzl to show pictures of his 17 Caliber version
Something happened here where I can’t post photos anymore...

But here is a thread from the original owner with some poor photos... I mean they just don’t do it justice...

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5705

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21667

My #1 218 Bee has a trigger in it, I have wood blanks for it, and the 20 KB dies for it... just can’t bring myself to let go of this good shooting 218 Bee... might need to buy another #1 someday.

If I could get my hands on some 20 caliber FP bullets, I’d be tempted to do my model 53 lol.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 05-21-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 05-21-2019, 04:36 PM

A few of us here have worked with .218Bee Ruger #1's using Lil'Gun powder and using a Lee Crimp die.
This die reduced my standard deviations to the low teens - as in 12 to 14, instead of 30-40.
Start with Hodgdon's data. 40gr. bullets were very accurate, sub 1/2" in my rifle, but 50's and 55's also shot under in inch.
The WW .218Bee brass is VERY strong brass.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Supporting Member

Based on my own experiences with custom dies, I would recommend Whidden. FF the brass, then neck size and shoot it 3 more times to get it well blown out, then send 3 pcs to Whidden with the sized dimensions you expect (Kevin can help you with that) and have them make you a FLS die. If you are only going to use one lot of brass, you might consider a non-bushing die, otherwise I think that the bushing style is the best/most versatile. That should be a fun rifle if you can get it to shoot well.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 PM

Default 20 Killer Bee

Ok fellas now thinking about a muzzle brake for my rifle. Any thoughts good or bad? Anyone have a brake on there KB happy unhappy worth the expense?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:00 AM
Supporting Member

I remember when Dan and I were talking about his new .17 Killer Bee. I said I'd sure like it in a .20 and as memory serves a reamer print for the .20 Killer Bee showed up in my email in about 15 minutes. My memory stinks but I do remember Cajun Blake, Dan C., ML, and myself went 4zees $$ on the first reamer and it got sent to Greg Tannel where it still lives.
I had a lot more free time than the guys with "Pesky Day Jobs" so I dealt with Lonnie Hummel at Hornady who got a copy of the print and he made 4 full length dies, one each for all of us. At that time Wilson was a lot more compliant and they got a reamer print copy and made 4 Wilson inline seaters and 4 neck sizer bushing dies for us. Ain't doing that any more for wildcatters .
A big part of my reason on the .20 Killer Bee was Dan's logo that I really got a kick out of.

A real nifty wildcat as is the .17 KB, but then is there a bad wildcat if a guy wants one built? Most surprising to me about the .20 Killer Bee is how similar the ballistics are between it and the .20 VarTarg?
Personal opinion only but as to a muzzle brake, I'd pass. The .20 Killer Bee is real quiet as is and ya see all the effects of your shots now with little recoil. I never shoot anything without hearing protection anyway and I see no gain "for me" with a brake. Add a silencer and now it's performance is the same but the noise is a lot more decibels. Others mileage may vary but that's my take, good luck and keep us informed .
Old 06-15-2019, 02:54 AM

I will keep you posted Kevin W has acquired Wilson blanks and will make my dies for me. So I’m well on my way, just have to decide on the muzzle break. Thank you for all the good information.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Something happened here where I can’t post photos anymore...

But here is a thread from the original owner with some poor photos... I mean they just don’t do it justice...

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5705

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21667

My #1 218 Bee has a trigger in it, I have wood blanks for it, and the 20 KB dies for it... just can’t bring myself to let go of this good shooting 218 Bee... might need to buy another #1 someday.

If I could get my hands on some 20 caliber FP bullets, I’d be tempted to do my model 53 lol.
Those links put a grin on my dial, Mntngoat showed a few pics of it in the "Project Guns" forum during 2008 and Kevin was the second post in that thread and called first dibbs.
Then in 2013 Mntngoat put it up for sale and Kevin was late to the party, but still was the first one to call first dibbs after it was sold.

Kevin you might have to build one as this one seems to be avoiding you

I wouldn't mind one of those octagonal barrels for one of my #1 actions.

Kiwi