Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 AM
Supporting Member

Default O.T. Marlin 1894 CL 218 Bee & 25-20

I know the rifle does not fit with the theme here but just wondering if if anyone here shoots either of the above and just how accurate this well made lever rifle is

Johno
Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 PM

I have 2 of those rifles in the Bee caliber. They give me just a little under an inch at 100yds. As you are aware, bullet selection is limited to the short, blunt, flat nosed bullets due to the tubular magazine. One rifle prefers the Speer bullet w/ N120 powder and the other likes the Hornady bullet w/ Reloader7 powder. Winchester makes a bullet but I've not had good luck in getting it to shoot well. Do not exceed the listed over all length of the cartridge or you can expect the round to jam and lock up the action during cycling. A real PITA. Don't try to load pointed bullets for that rifle as they go way to far into the case to be useful. A real fun gun to shoot.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Supporting Member

Bob, thanks for the reply, the rifles are very hard to find over here and when they do pop up on sales sites go quickly.

I'm sort of winding things back as I don't do a lot of shooting anymore and got to thinking that one of these rifles would fill the need for a few rabbits and around the small farm where shooting roos & wallaby's is under the 100 yds.

Hope to speak with a new importer today to get a firm figure on current rates if ok I will buy from the US.

I wonder how those little TCM bullets would go thts been talked about in another thread?

Johno
Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 AM

I have not tried them. I'm so satisfied with Speer and Hornady that I bought a large amount.
If they are lead bullets, I'd be a little wary as they usually have a bullet lube on them and that could get real messy inside the action. Those levers are a lot of work to take apart and clean.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:15 AM
Supporting Member

I had a 1894CL in .218 Bee for years. Mine shot well, with the Hornady HP "Bee" bullet being a consistent sub-1" shooter. I crimped them, but still got decent brass life.

It fit me so well, that I became a jackrabbit killing machine when I used open sites. It was a blast to shoot!

Eric
Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 AM
Supporting Member

Eric, thats just the sort of thing I want the rifle for, Bob you decide to get yourself down to just the one shoot me a pm before you sell it so I can get things sorted. Its no problem for anyone wanting to sell you just send it to the exporter who is an FFL and forget it

Johno
Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I had a 218 be in one and it shot about 1" with or without a scope. I have a friend who has a 25-20 he re-barreled with an octagon custom barrel with a tight chamber. brass life sucked be fore the new barrel and now it is a jack killer extraordinaire as well as coyotes.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 AM
Supporting Member

Come on Bob your doing it again aintcha at least its not you know what

Johno
Old 11-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Try going to www.marlinowners.com and take a look through the links there. Lots of info, loads, etc.

I own 8 lever guns and almost all have hyphens

Here's a link: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/32...dard-calibers/

vr rch
Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 PM

sent you a pm johno