Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Default Any 22 Hornet aficionados?

I'm going to start by saying I like classic rounds and classic rifles. That's why I'm not considering a different round.

I have a Winchester 54 22 Hornet complete action laying around that needs completing. So far I've considered going with a factory target contour barrel and either a marksman style target stock or maybe a slimmer factory stock that I can hog out and make look like a M70 sniper rifle. However, that target barrel might be a little excessive for the hornet, and it's going to weigh a ton.

The other option is a Douglas #5 contour. Heavy, but with a sporter profile to knock some excess weight off. I could see this in a nice sporter stock as well.

Then I've got to figure if I'm going to get the bolt bent so I can use a modern scope mount, or if I should stick with unertl style mounts.

What would you do? Any recommendations?
Old 03-16-2019, 03:07 AM

Definitely my kind of project. For me personally, any rifle, no matter how nice or accurate it might have been, that weighed more than about 8 lbs, eventually went down the road. I’m just a svelt sporter guy. So, for me, I always lean toward lighter, livelier, and more dynamic handling. I’ve owned quite a number of heavier Hornets, but they just don’t seem to match the petite little round. Now, the M54/M70, the Hornet’s original home, is not the best fit either, but it is cool and functions very well.

I would use the lightest possible barrel with a sleek, slender stock. Whatever you do, though, go with a 1:12” or quicker twist, to handle to much longer plastic-tipped bullets.

TBR
Old 03-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Supporting Member

Like Harold said,go with a period look. You want light weight go modern.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM

The M70 receiver is large compared to a modern Hornet action, but using the Winchester Marksman stock (looks like a M52C or D) to make it look like a M70 Target model would be awesome, complete with a Unertl scope. Stick with 40 to 45 gr bullets, using a .224 bore and a twist no slower than 1:14. Pick/Find a relatively smaller Hornet reamer to get to get a nice tight chamber. Love Hornets, currently have Four of them.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 PM

In my span, I have only seen two 54 hornets for sale. Both were Unertl scoped. Both were standard weight barrels FWIW. With that said, dreams come on.....

Richard's microfit offers a marksman styled stock semi inletted in straight woods or laminates. Other outfits do as well.

The trigger on the 54 is somewhat vintage compared to later models, but that is the way they was, and are now. One would suspect a double set trigger could be adapted if so desired. The weight of the rifle will help with the heavier trigger in my opinion.

Back in the day, Winchester rifles, especially the 70 could be ordered as target models or bull models. Target models could be any caliber you could think of. One would suspect that the target model is around 0.7 pr 0.75 at 26". The bull is I believe 1" at 28". A Shilen #5(0.7") or # 5.5(0.75") might be considered if wanting a contoured barrel. A Shilen #6 is straight tapered down to 0.75".

Some research into the vintage rifle specs will help it to look like vintage. Books and literature, net is all out there for the gleaning of info.

If the rifle is going to be a target type vintage wise, then the Unertl is going to be the ticket. May cost now as much as the rifle and its work but there is something about them..........

I have a pre64 model 70 hornet, a 17 Hornet extra barrel is the ticket for some, a switch barrel affair. I missed out on the two 54's, hence the 70 now residing here.

sounds like a fun project, do a bit of planning/research before charging off, tis part of the fun.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:01 PM

I do have a M70 Target chambered in 308 Win made in 1966 or 67, Marksman stock, has barrel blocks for Unertl, Redfield target peeps and the barrel at the muzzle is about 0.75" as I recall. It looks all the world like a M52C or M52D.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:55 PM

You will find plenty of 22 hornet fans here. My first was a tc carbine barrel. The low noise and accuracy sold me. The next was a cz and the accuracy got even better. Love my hornet, not sure I will ever be without one.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default Hornet project

Having owned the Hornet in both 54 and 70 trim I've always thought the action size to cartridge size was disconcerting. Sorta like having a Cadillac with an inline 4 cyclinder under the hood. Both of mine functioned fine and were average shooters. I did benefit greatly upon selling them. If I had that action it would get a premium barrel in a #2 profile, nice piece of walnut, ebony fore end and steel grip cap, inletted Niedner butt plate and a good high gloss blue. Classic look with a little Super Grade flavor.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 03-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 AM

I'm leaning towards the Winchester Target look alike. I think I'm going to order a Douglas Premium Chrome Moly in Winchester Target contour. I'll go with a 12 twist to keep up with current bullets.

I'll also order a Marksman stock from Richards. I've actually ordered one previously for a FN short action build I did. It's going to be a wait to get it all together, but I have a spare stock to use in the meantime.

For scope mounting, I think I'm going to get the rear bridge drilled and tap as well as get the bolt bent. I put a unertl on it just to check and the bolt wouldn't clear it either. Of which, I get the barrel drilled and tapped for a unerl base.

Should be a fun one, albeit expensive and not the wisest thing to do.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackdriver View Post
I'm leaning towards the Winchester Target look alike. I think I'm going to order a Douglas Premium Chrome Moly in Winchester Target contour. I'll go with a 12 twist to keep up with current bullets.

I'll also order a Marksman stock from Richards. I've actually ordered one previously for a FN short action build I did. It's going to be a wait to get it all together, but I have a spare stock to use in the meantime.

For scope mounting, I think I'm going to get the rear bridge drilled and tap as well as get the bolt bent. I put a unertl on it just to check and the bolt wouldn't clear it either. Of which, I get the barrel drilled and tapped for a unerl base.

Should be a fun one, albeit expensive and not the wisest thing to do.
Sounds like a plan. Since you asked for opinions, though, I will give you another...completely free of charge
If it were me, and I were not going the sleek sporter route, I would not drill the receiver bridge or alter the bolt handle; in other words, I would leave the action as original as possible, to preserve the M54 flavor as much as you can. With the new barrel, obviously you can alter away, but I have found I either stay close to original or go all out custom. The in-between-ers just seem like neither fish nor fowl, and I think most buyers would feel the same way.

Just my thoughts.

TBR