Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 06-06-2020, 08:51 PM

Default Range Time Contender 17/222 Rem OTT

Finally got around to trying the 17/222 Rem. **MAN I LOVE BEING RETIRED** It is a 14 inch OTT full bull matte barrel wearing a Burris 6.5-20x50MM Fullfield II in Burris Signature rings atop a Bullberry six hole weaver style scope base. On an easy open framed with 14 ounce trigger and sporting Georgia Jim pink lady wide flat bottom target forend with matching ambi grip (Bought in Honor of My Wife ***WHO is now cancer FREE 7 years** Thank You God) I decided on BL-C2 Powder and 20 Grain Hornady V-Max Bullets. Brass was new just sized Winchester. Started with beginning load from Hodgdon website for 25 grain V-Max. No pressure sighs at all. It was pushing 90 degrees so not a long session, however I now know what my next project for retirement is. A roof for my new shooting Bench (pictures later but it is solid). And of course as always using a Fuzz Rest. Hope Cayle was looking down and smiling, I know I was. Number of shots, distance and powder charge as noted on picture of target.
Thanks for reading and have a GREAT weekend
Doug

Old 06-07-2020, 01:12 PM

Default 17-222

That’s a fine shooting Contender. Never tried high powered rifle scopes with my Contenders. Must work well. nvtoy
Old 06-07-2020, 05:41 PM

I use rifle scopes on my smaller calibers 22, 20 , & 17 very little kick. You can also get higher magnification and better quality scopes. The 2 luepolds pictured below are a big improvement over any handgun scope available. With the proper brakes almost any caliber can use a rifle scope. Not ideal in some hunting situations but I do have a few pistol scopes on the hard hitters. 95 % of my shooting is from my Fuzz Rest (Bottom Picture). It was made by Cayle Davis a long time member of Specialty Pistols, who is no longer with us. A fine Gentleman and a great machinist. The step barrel pictured on the rest is a full 1.25 at the muzzle. It is chambered in 20 VarTarg and just sits still and puts a lot of bullets in one little ragged hole. You can watch the impact through the scope. Rifle scopes take some getting used to but are a big step up in my opinion.
Thanks for reading
Doug