Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-13-2020, 07:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default Slickin' Up a CZ Hornet

I have my 1st 2 CZ Hornets, one is a stock American so far and the other is a K-Hornet in a B&C Varmint stock with a #5 Brux 1-12 SS barrel. I've never worked with CZ's before so don't know a whole lot about them. I did do a trigger job on the American which now has a nice 1 1/4 lb trigger, and will do the same to the custom rifle. I would appreciate any advice on slicking up the action/feeding. I am single loading and using a Calhoun single shot follower in both rifles. Feeding in the American (standard Hornet) isn't too bad, but in the K-Hornet it's pretty bad and it put a dent in the body of the case on the dummy round I tried in it. Looking at the boltface/extractor with a case installed it appears that there is some pretty strong pressure being put on the rim by the extractor. Any help with these rifles would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe
Old 07-13-2020, 08:39 PM

Just a thought but the single shot follower may be kicking the cartridge, due to the improved shoulder, to much and therefore the cartridge is not hitting the chamber mouth as it should, but the outside edge, hitting it and causing the damage.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 PM

I have two Americans, one in 22 Hornet and One in 221FB. I have not messed with the extractor, but working the bolt was fairly stiff and I noticed the bolt had some light scratches after working it a few times. Removed the bolt and felt inside the action, and found the inside edges of the action were very sharp and could actually cut my finger, almost like a paper cut. I lightly deburred those inside edges with a very fine stone to take the edge off. That made the action a lot smoother and easier to work. Never adjusted the triggers on either. The FB came with a 2.5lb unset and 12 oz set. Perfect for me. The Hornet was used, and its trigger is about 2.5 unset and about 14oz set.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Supporting Member

Joe the ejector puts a lot of pressure on the left side of bolt, I've reduced the pressure by removing some metal and polishing. Make sure the extractor and it's collar rotates smoothly. One thing to be careful of, there's a sharp peak( I don't know the correct term) to the left of the safety that contacts the root of the bolt. It's part of the primary extraction. I only lightly polish the bolt where it makes contact. If the ''peak'' has burrs you can polish them. Eddie is doing a 22 Jet on a 7.62 x 39 action as we speak, the lips on it's magazine makes full contact on the bottom of the bolt. Drop the mag and half the friction in working the bolt goes away. Maybe the top of your S.S. Calhoon follower is making contact, I usually radius the inside lips on all of mine. Maybe run a marker over the bolt and see where the color is wore off. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:09 PM

I'm guessing the K has trouble feeding for the same reason my 17HH did. Remove the bolt and manually try to slip an empty brass up and into position on the bolt face. Some resistance can be overcome by the push of the mag spring but not much. Work on the shape of the extractor claw little by little until you get reliable feeding. The problem I was having was the cartridge was being stripped at an angle causing the bullet tip to hit the chamber in the shoulder area. All you need to do is reshape the claw enough to prevent the point of the bullet from hitting the chamber shoulder and it will start in allowing the base of the brass to be forced up into the proper position on the bolt face.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I have my 1st 2 CZ Hornets, one is a stock American so far and the other is a K-Hornet in a B&C Varmint stock with a #5 Brux 1-12 SS barrel. I've never worked with CZ's before so don't know a whole lot about them. I did do a trigger job on the American which now has a nice 1 1/4 lb trigger, and will do the same to the custom rifle. I would appreciate any advice on slicking up the action/feeding. I am single loading and using a Calhoun single shot follower in both rifles. Feeding in the American (standard Hornet) isn't too bad, but in the K-Hornet it's pretty bad and it put a dent in the body of the case on the dummy round I tried in it. Looking at the boltface/extractor with a case installed it appears that there is some pretty strong pressure being put on the rim by the extractor. Any help with these rifles would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe
Where do you have the set trigger set?

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming. Just a FYI: I only shoot single shot and don't care for set triggers so that has been removed/disabled. I have the single stage trigger down to a little over a pound, nice & crisp.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:33 AM

I guess I am like SmokinJoe. Don't care too much for the set trigger on the CZ's, so one my Cz 527 I installed the Rifle Basix single trigger, adjusts down to 12 oz, slips right into the rifle, following directions, and is so sweet. Bill K
Old 07-15-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming. Just a FYI: I only shoot single shot and don't care for set triggers so that has been removed/disabled. I have the single stage trigger down to a little over a pound, nice & crisp.
That is wasteful of half of a great trigger. The 527 with the set feature is perhaps the best factory trigger ever put on a rifle.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 AM

Danny, I agree that the CZ 527 set triggers are nice, however, you need to try to find/experience the International Set trigger on an Anschutz 22lr Match rifle. Simply incredible.