Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-16-2020, 12:47 AM

Default 17 squirrel ossues

Hey guys I’m working on my 17 squirrel project and I’m running into some snags. I’m using Nosler 22 hornet brass. I’ve cut it down, ran through Redding form 1 and 2. The ID is way to small at 0.15”. I can’t run them through the FL sizer without forcing and breaking something. I’ve reached out to Redding to make sure the ID of the form die is correct at 0.186”. I think I have a wall thickness issue. I measured a few cases and all were right at 15 thousandths using a micrometer.

Am I on the right track? Can anybody give me reamer specs and wall thickness specs? If I do need to neck turn what’s the best way to go about that on such a small case? I have a 21st century neck turning lathe.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2020, 02:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Sounds like the necks need to be turned. The die is probably doing it's job but if the neck is to thick it can be extremely hard to get the sizer balls back out. And if you do get it out seating a buller can be very tough. Bullet plus wall thickness has to be a few thousand less than chamber neck dimensions.

My 17 sizer has a straight decaping rod and if the neck wall is too thick the die will try and compress the neck brass.thats when you start bending bnd breaking things.

.172 bullet diameter + .030 neck brass is .202, what is the squirrel neck measurements.
My quick search showc the 17sq chamber neck is .199 chambering your current round would be dificuly and dangerous, as in very.

Last edited by foxhunter; 07-16-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:03 PM

I don’t actually have the rifle yet. Right now I’m just messing with forming brass. I agree that the necks are probably too thick. Thanks for the input! I need to order some 17 cal neck turning gear now.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:40 PM

I just started on the adventure with the 17 squirrel in a Contender platform. I using dies from CH-4D so I can't help you there. Hopefully one of the other members with Redding dies will chime in and give you some information.

I started out forming my brass from Remington 22 Hornet and had no issues. I didn't have a tool to get into the mouth of the tiny 17 case to be able to measure the wall thickness of the necks after they have been formed so no help there either. If you get no response soon for others and if you would like I could send you a few Remington and Winchester cases to try. I wouldn't get to carried away on producing to much brass until your barrel shows up and you know just where you need the shoulder to be.

Good luck with your project

Mike
Old 07-16-2020, 11:25 PM

Yeah I got my dies from Todd at the woodchuck den. He said there’s no issues with Remington brass. He hadn’t tried the Nosler brass but warned me that it may be too thick. It looks like it is.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Board Sponsor

The Nosler brass and PPU brass are both considerable thicker than the Rem, Win, and RWS. S&B is in between.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-17-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
The Nosler brass and PPU brass are both considerable thicker than the Rem, Win, and RWS. S&B is in between.
And I believe Lapua is also, so all may or must be trimmed, prior too your use in your rifle.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:04 PM

Remington is the thinnest of all Hornet brass & also gave me the longest string lengths without having to anneal.
In other words, it outlasted the Winchester brass.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:26 AM

I agree with what Daryl said, but the same can be said for having tight and larger chambers. My Kimber will do maybe 15 reload before needing to anneal. My No. 3 can only do 3 or 4 before needing to anneal. Both rifles are fire formed to the chamber and neck sized only. The brass is segregated between rifles and are not fired in a different rifle. But, I chosen Winchester brass to use in my rifles.

Last edited by TinMan; 07-20-2020 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-29-2020, 04:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rem and Win brass only

Rem and Win brass only on all my Squirrels.
Kevin Harrington made the brass for me, so straight from the horse's mouth.
I wasted money on the fancier brass since they are unusable.

Last edited by 17varminter; 07-29-2020 at 05:39 PM.