Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Default I made bullets!!!!

I MADE BULLETS!!! Sorry didn't mean to yell, but this is a new experiance for me. I cant believe that I waited this long to start swaging bullets. I have had no luck at all finding a smaller quantity of 17 or 22 cal jackets (other than Corbin, I can buy bullets for what he wants for jackets) I don't think I'm ready to buy 7000 jackets just yet. So in desperation I made a 22LR jacket maker, after I ironed out (no pun) a few little problems, it worked great. So after I made a couple hundred jackets with book in hand I jumped in with both feet. The dies that I got where in a RCBS box that just said 22 bullet dies, no other labeling so with the help of some pictures I sort of figured out what the different dies did. The first thing I figured out was that you should take the time to anchor the press down, before you start (what can I say, I was excited). Anyway after a few tries out popped a cool little 22 cal 48gr brass colored bullet, I was hooked.

I posted this on another thread but I will ask again, is there anyplace other than Corbin to get a lesser amount of jackets. I don't think that I'm ready to just jump in and buy 10000 jackets (7000 17's and 3000 22's per bucket)

One other question, there seems to be some debate on weather to anneal the 22 hulls before I swag them or after. I read somewhere that just put them in a metal container and throw them in the wood stove for a few hours (important safety reminider...triple check to make sure there are no loaded rounds, other wise it will make a loud noise and scare your wife and dogs, and she will not let you use the wood stove any more) (not that I did that) (glad I used a strong metal can) So do I anneal before or after forming?? (think I will wait till my wife is out of the house next time)

Oops one more, one of the other fellows on the forum suggested that I make up a set of draw dies to make 20 cal jackets out of 22's and so on. How much of a step down can one take at a time? Is it feasible to draw down the 22 LR jackets to 20 or 17?

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Glad I set the ol' coffee cup down before reading your post, BB, or I would have had it coming out my nose!

Sorry, I can't offer any input concerning your project, just wanted to thank you for a morning chuckle.

Did you look into J4 jackets (if they're still around)?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Bob, you definately can reduce those 22 jacket to 17 and 20. You can reduce them to 20 in one step, but may want to reduce them to 20 before going down to 17. If you are looking for a die to do this or making one, you should look into a reduce/trim die. This die will reduce the jacket and pinch trim it in one step.

I anneal the jackets after de-riming them instead of before, this is the most common practice, some guys are convinced that it is better to do this before. I find that I get much better luch annealing after, less poping through, but it somewhat easier.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

J4 is the ones that sell in buckets. I have no idea where you can buy in small numbers. A friend makes our BR bullets on a J4 jacket. Bought a die set from Blackmon. He won the Nationals for Hunter Benchrest one year with them. Ron Bertrand is his name. I tried and it is not for me.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM

You can get sierra jackets for the 22. https://www.sierrabullets.com/index....bullet_jackets

They are sold in 1k lots.

Aaron
Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
You can get sierra jackets for the 22. https://www.sierrabullets.com/index....bullet_jackets

They are sold in 1k lots.

Aaron
Out of stock!! And from the sounds of it they have been for some time.
Bob
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Supporting Member

Berger makes the J4 jacket. I think Bruno's sells Berger J4. I think a bucket is the smallest quantity. Check both websites.

Corbin did sell jackets in quantities as small as 250, if i remember correctly.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM

I have no idea if you are even interested, but it looks as though Berger has enough jackets to sell to last a while:

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...J4-Jacket-News

just sayin'

Rick
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM

Talking There are [2] TWO Corbins...

I assume by "Corbin" you mean Dave who is the bigger "noise" in the business and sells at prices reflecting his efforts.

He has a brother, Richard. [RCECO.COM] Formerly they were partners I think. Among other things swaging related, Rich is on his own and offers jackets as available in bags of 200 for around $10.00 and up. Bigger cups cost more, Oh Surprise... LUCK. HAPPY HOLIDAYS. Happy Trails.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Supporting Member

Yes ,i know who Richard is. I have a Walnut Hill Press and all the necessary stuff required to make bullets. FORSALE. Yes i know who Dave is. Used his jackets.