Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM

Lets not forget that it all depends on what press and dies you are using.
Many with small diameter dies and converted reloading press will have trouble with hard alloy for cores .
Look at your system first and then ascertain what is suitable for what you have . Just because someone else can do something with his gear does not mean it will work for everyone.
Forcing your press and dies to handle harder lead is a good way to wear everything out quicker and that is just what the professionals want.
I don't believe there is any great advantage in harder alloy cores. For target work you don't need hard cores and for hunting just solder bond the pure lead cores anyway . I would not go over .5% in my hand press system .
What professionals do in a factory with huge transfer presses has little bearing on what a home swager can achieve in a small hand press.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Supporting Member

Crown Metals
Milwaukie, Wisconsin

No website but has a business listing,with some info. Google it.

This is where i have bought lead wire. Some well known makers purchase there lead blend.

They do answer inquires.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Supporting Member

if you are going to use harder or should I say an alloy mix either tin or antimony you can use what you have but bleed holes will need to be larger.also pressure is the same to core seat jacket stretch is jacket stretch not really an issue as for pointing up that's a whole different story if you are producing bullets with core barely into ogive its not an issue but if you are running further up ogive than they will be lets say more difficult as in more handle pressure.i have used up to 6%tin with no real problems other than needing to make a different squirt die,also ditto for sierra they use up to 6%antimony oncertain bullets. george
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Supporting Member

George can a formed 17 cal bullet be lightly lubed and ran into a 17 point up die to slightly change the ogive and close the tip without loosening the core/jacket? Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
George can a formed 17 cal bullet be lightly lubed and ran into a 17 point up die to slightly change the ogive and close the tip without loosening the core/jacket? Thanks
I know you directed this to George, but I will add as well. You might be able to but you may very well stick a bullet in the point form die. The rule is, what goes in must be smaller than the hole in the die. If you put a .172 bullet into a hole that is supposed to form one at that diameter, you lose the spring back that allows easy ejection.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Valentine View Post
Lets not forget that it all depends on what press and dies you are using.
Many with small diameter dies and converted reloading press will have trouble with hard alloy for cores .
Look at your system first and then ascertain what is suitable for what you have . Just because someone else can do something with his gear does not mean it will work for everyone.
Forcing your press and dies to handle harder lead is a good way to wear everything out quicker and that is just what the professionals want.
I don't believe there is any great advantage in harder alloy cores. For target work you don't need hard cores and for hunting just solder bond the pure lead cores anyway . I would not go over .5% in my hand press system .
What professionals do in a factory with huge transfer presses has little bearing on what a home swager can achieve in a small hand press.
I completely agree. .5% is way different than the 3 or 5 that was mentioned.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

if the bullet is a lower ogive #or blunter yes you can repoint without loosening core in a higher ogive die or pointier die,as stated before on a steel die I would want a small amount of bump up on carbide not so much you would be surprised at the br bullet makers that are swaging down slightly,these are hallof fame shooters. george

Last edited by george ulrich; 01-10-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Supporting Member

also on the harder cores if you want to try to squirt with smaller dia. holes,leave less material to squirt if I go over 1% I will only leave about .6 grs. to squirt the harder the material the less you need to squirt. george
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Bullet Making Lead Wire

I've read all the Posts on wire for making bullets. I am in the group that uses and recommends 1/2% antimony. Reason being is that I value my dies and don't want to take a chance of rupturing one them with higher antimony wire. Wire of higher antimony to me is for high production machines using dies with less tolerance than the high quality dies precision bullet makers use making bullets one at a time.

Now what Badger Bob has going on is for his needs. Congratulations Bob on your bullets. I wrote my Thread on bullet making for those that want to make precision bullets using the best equipment and materials available.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 01-12-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Thank all of you for your posts, it seems to me that I might as well keep to pure lead. I'm not trying to make anything out of the ordinary I just want to make the best bullets possible with the equipment I have. So I think for the safety of my dies pure lead is the way to go for me. I have been looking for other old style SAS dies that would fit my press with no luck so far. So I had better take care of the dies I have.

I have found that I enjoy this hobby way to much to mess things up now. I just wish I had tried this years ago.

Bob