Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 PM

Default 357 Mag for deer

Very nice there. Good info/story and Thank you for sharing it and the photo. Bill K
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM

thanks to all that shared and gave advice. I asked around and had a buddy with half a box of 150gr sierra hp's that were so old the tips were oxidizing, he gave them to me for free. So I loaded some up over win 296, and got decent results for 30yds so I think those will do. I wont hesitate to use the 125gr if I run out, I just think the heavier bullet may work better. Now I just gotta get a doe to hold still for a good shot. The problem will be the little ones always are stupid and hang around the stand. And a few smaller deer have made the fatal mistake of letting me get bored watching them for 4 hours...............
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 PM

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I shot quite a few hogs around 100-175 pounds with a 4" Ruger Security Six back in the early 80's. I never had any trouble dropping them.

I was using straight wheel weight 158gr Keith style semi-wadcutter, gas checked, in front of 11.6gr of Herco. It was a pretty stout load and quite a bit over max in today's manuals. I got the load from my dad's 1967 Lyman manual.

Tony
Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Supporting Member

I’ve killed a bunch of deer with my Ruger GP100, most dropped in their tracks with 72 yards being as far out one got on me. Biggest buck I have taken was with that GP100 and 158 gr XTP… longest shot was 80 yards on a doe, dropped in her tracks. I have had better luck with it than my 270 7mm STW both have had great shots and seen em run farther…

Anyone with a GP100 will definitely extend the range of it by swapping out the sights to a rear v and a front ball (like the 10/22 has) Ruger should sell that one with it standard equipment IMO

I also have a sw m-19 that I’d like to take a deer with someday but don’t see it happening
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 PM

I would have no issues with the .357, but I would have to check with Hornady to see if they would advise that bullet/ velocity for deer. I would guess that bullet is designed more for .38 special velocities. A .357 with those 150 grain bullets should work out to 75 yds easy I would think.