Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 Nosler Update?

Anyone aware of any update on Nosler's plans to introduce their 20 Nosler. It was in the making 2017 with expectations of 2018 announcement but never happened. Thought maybe this year shot show but didn't see it.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:54 PM

From this chair, for all intents and purposes, the 20 & 22 Nosler and the Valkyrie unlike the CMs, seem to have turned out to be mass market flops.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 PM

With their being no shortage of .22 cal cartridges already on the market, and the 204 Ruger is there pretty much all alone, I would have thought coming out with the 20 Nosler first, would have made more sense, but they know there market a lot better than I do so I guess that just shows the .20 caliber market isn't all that strong.

I actually drug my feet on building my most recent 20 cal rifle because I thought a 20 Nosler sounded like it could be a fun one and even if brass was just kinda mediocre, I thought about giving one a try, and since the donor action was a Rem 700 223, it would have been easy peasy. I eventually got tired of waiting and went with a 20-222. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I think you are correct and don't really see a whole lot of interest in the 22 Nosler or the Valkyrie. My guess is, they'll just kind of linger along and eventually die a slow death.

Last edited by B23; 01-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 AM
Supporting Member

Not completely forgotten, but not out yet.

I've got a .20 GPC barrel and bolt coming for an AR15 build. I am looking very forward to shooting and hunting with it.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:21 PM

HTML Code:
I think you are correct and don't really see a whole lot of interest in the 22 Nosler or the Valkyrie. My guess is, they'll just kind of linger along and eventually die a slow death.
What you expect? They are a specialty cartridge just like the 17 rem. ppc and the BR. 17 Rem was meant for minimum hide damage on fox and coyotes which is a very small market but the gun companies was good enough to go there and fill it for a them. The ppc and BR along with the 224 Valkyrie same thing a special cartridge for Bench-rest shooting cept the Valkyrie meant for long range and can be fired in a AR. And the Valkyrie does everything they claimed it to be, no false claims there.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Btw, I've been shooting a .22 Nosler for about a year and a half. The Valkyrie for about nine months. Both are great cartridges and perform well in the field.

Here's a video where I kill two doe antelope in Wyoming. One at 322 yards with the .22 Nosler (60 grain BT) and the other one at 80 yards with a .224 Valkyrie (90 grain SP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O0KKVkcnso
Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 PM

Cool video
Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
Cool video
Thanks! It was a great hunt.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Btw, I've been shooting a .22 Nosler for about a year and a half. The Valkyrie for about nine months. Both are great cartridges and perform well in the field.

Here's a video where I kill two doe antelope in Wyoming. One at 322 yards with the .22 Nosler (60 grain BT) and the other one at 80 yards with a .224 Valkyrie (90 grain SP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O0KKVkcnso
And I would agree, they are probably great little cartridges, but, IMO, the reason they will likely not gain much market share is because the vast majority of shooters pretty much look at a .22 caliber anything, as mostly a varmint, pest control, plinker, etc. etc. type of gun and with 223 guns being so abundant, ammo being very cheap, as well as you can always pick some up anywhere that sells ammo, I think it makes it very difficult for just about any new .22 cal to come along and gain much of a market.

I doubt this would ever happen, but if they sold 22 Nosler and Valkyrie ammo for the same or nearly the same price as 223 ammo, and did so all the time, then, it's possible they would steal away some of the huge market share the 223 holds, but I just don't see it happening any other way.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:14 AM

What these companies fail to grasp is other than a miniscule number of riflemen, guys that want to shoot a 90 grain bullet are going to go with a 6mm of some stripe, and push that same bullet faster than in a .224 platform. The same goes for the demise of the 20 caliber 55 grain bullets. The vast majority that want to shoot a 55, are going to be in a .224 caliber rifle. Personally, I think the commercial days of the heavy for caliber bullets, barrels and rifles are numbered and we'll swing back to more middle of the road weights.