Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Are you saying making a lug or stub doesn't make sense on a commercial scale or all together? I'll only cost me around $8 for the chunk of stainless to make the barrel stub out of. Yeah I'll take time. And I'll need a couple of roll pins, a spring, fabricate an extractor, and get a set of locking lugs. Locking lugs can be bought for about $40. So I'm into it less than $50 plus my time. I'll use a chunk of barrel I already have.

Aaron
Old 03-27-2019, 03:07 PM

so my conclusion is the stubbed barrel, multiple fitted barrels to one stub to use one scope for all ? or is there another practical reason I'm not seeing
Old 03-28-2019, 02:32 AM

For me its re-purposing a couple of barrels that the chambers were drilled way off from the factory long ago. It may be possible to make them switch barrels but the problem with that is over time if you switch them often they will come out of time. The threads will crush and they will rotate a bit more.

Aaron
Old 03-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Aaron, Thank you, Ok so now one of you talented guys with a lathe needs to figure out a TCvage system I'm thinking Encore would be the practical platform
Evage ?
Old 04-03-2019, 04:44 PM

Default Thick walled cylinder and calculating yield (failure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalm View Post
I still have 4 complete stubs from Eagle View sitting in a box... Only real thing I'm concerned with is how large of case can you go with them due to the smaller wall thickness of the barrel itself.... Would love to do a Grendel, but that's already pushing it and would leave a mighty small wall thickness under the threads. I haven't looked at them in awhile, but I was considering a welded lug still seems like a better option. I always wanted a 357 Max, so maybe I'll take a barrel blank and fit/finish into one of those stubs....maybe my opinion might change.
You should at least look at this and then if it seems fuzzy to you, do not build a stub.

Yield stress is failure stress limit. Getting to that pressure in a normal rifle barrel is going to be easy if you are a careless handloader.

Consider getting someone who is thoroughly familiar with this subject look over your barrel stub design and wall thickness before you commit to making chips (cutting steel).

My barrel stub was at the limit, chamber diameter on mine is 0.311".

Be careful.

http://www.mydatabook.org/solid-mech...mes-equations/

http://www.mydatabook.org/solid-mech...er_hoop_stress

http://www.mydatabook.org/solid-mech..._radial_stress

Last edited by 17tbs; 04-03-2019 at 04:49 PM.