Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Supporting Member

Default Do you know if the 5.5 Velo Dog is the same size as the 22 CCM?

I know this is a dumb question but I've googled and googled and can't find the cartridge specs on either cartridge. I've read that the Cooper Centerfire Magnum (22 CCM) is actually a rebirth of the 5.5 Velo Dog. I can get the 22 CCM brass from Ron Reed but when I looked up the chamber reamer it was a bit expensive for me although I also found a 5.5 Velo Dog reamer for less. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Boomer

Edit to add; Found a diagram of the 22 CCM cartridge with all the dimensions and compared them to dimensions listed in my "Cartridges of the World". The differences where extremely small.

I need to get the reamer and figure on a rifle setup.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-04-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:38 PM

Not sure if it's of much help but I too have read the same thing with the major difference being operating pressure with the cooper being significantly higher.

I May have to see if you want to sell that reamer when your done. I have a crazy idea of wanting to convert a keltec CMR to the CCM and sbr it. I don't even own one yet but maybe someday.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

I'd find out about 22 Hornet reamer! Do away with that 22 Cooper silly shit!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I'd find out about 22 Hornet reamer! Do away with that 22 Cooper silly shit!!!
I've thought about the Hornet but what I'm doing is a pellet firing cartridge for practice in the back yard since my health is declining and can't get to the range. I need a light load round that is close to a cat sneeze but accurate. I don't want to be bothering the neighbors with the sound of gun fire. I don't want to use an air rifle -- I have them and they are a pain that I don't need. I have a working cartridge now that uses German made 25gr pellets but it's based on a 5.7X28FN cartridge that has a body larger than the case neck and it's a pain when the pellets slip back inside the body thus the need for a straight cartridge case. The round I have right now shoots 1/2" at 25 yards. I use an adapter I made for my H&R shotgun. I'm glad to know you think it's "Silly Shit".
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 PM

What about a 25 auto using 25 cal pellets? or the 22 ladybug one of our members here made (25 auto swaged down and turned to 22lr dimensions) maybe he'd form some cases for you. I'm sure a few dozen would keep you busy for a good while.

I don't have the dimensions in front of me but isn't 22WMR close enough to make work for the CCM? want to say the rim was slightly larger and that was it.

If you have the means and strength to mill/grind/file down a piece of O1 steel I could spin you up a D-reamer, you would just have to D it yourself as I don't have a mill nor the patients/time to do the rest.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
What about a 25 auto using 25 cal pellets? or the 22 ladybug one of our members here made (25 auto swaged down and turned to 22lr dimensions) maybe he'd form some cases for you. I'm sure a few dozen would keep you busy for a good while.

I don't have the dimensions in front of me but isn't 22WMR close enough to make work for the CCM? want to say the rim was slightly larger and that was it.

If you have the means and strength to mill/grind/file down a piece of O1 steel I could spin you up a D-reamer, you would just have to D it yourself as I don't have a mill nor the patients/time to do the rest.
I followed "NoZombies" thread about doing the 22 ladybug and actually did some cartridge cases similar but longer since I used 22 hornet brass and formed them down and removed the donut that was left. It is a good project for someone but after doing a good amount I realized it taxed my energy and the finished product worked fine but it was not as nice looking as the 22 ladybugs. I also had made the cases the same diameter as the 22 magnum so I could use a magnum reamer. I may have to check if the German pellets will fit in the cases I made. I don't have a mill or lathe and do things by hand and that is where part of the problem is. I can cut a chamber and the brass is available from Ron Reed here on Saubier. PTG makes a Velo Dog reamer and I may order one down the road.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
I followed "NoZombies" thread about doing the 22 ladybug and actually did some cartridge cases similar but longer since I used 22 hornet brass and formed them down and removed the donut that was left. It is a good project for someone but after doing a good amount I realized it taxed my energy and the finished product worked fine but it was not as nice looking as the 22 ladybugs. I also had made the cases the same diameter as the 22 magnum so I could use a magnum reamer. I may have to check if the German pellets will fit in the cases I made. I don't have a mill or lathe and do things by hand and that is where part of the problem is. I can cut a chamber and the brass is available from Ron Reed here on Saubier. PTG makes a Velo Dog reamer and I may order one down the road.
one thing you may want to worry about with the velo dog reamer is it may be(and is most likely) a cylinder reamer, meaning it will have no throat/lead made into the reamer.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
one thing you may want to worry about with the velo dog reamer is it may be(and is most likely) a cylinder reamer, meaning it will have no throat/lead made into the reamer.
I don't remember the exact wording but I think PTG said it would be made to order so I was thinking I could ask for a small amount of throat or leade. Af course that statement by PTG may be a stock one they put on all their parts -- I should probably call.

My biggest problem is trimming the brass since I don't have a lathe. You can see in the picture that I can reform Hornet brass to a point where it can be worked but doing the work is the problem. The cartridge on the right is a 22 magnum for comparison. I guess working with this stuff helps fill in the time. I made the die to work the Hornet brass but this is about as far as I've gotten. I do have some completed cases that are primed and cut to the 22 magnum length but that was work intensive for me with just hand tools.
This is the first step in forming the brass.

After a lot of dremel, file and polish work the case looks like this with a primer but the rim is still just not right.

To keep trying is a lot of work for me and that is the reason to want to try the Velo Dog/22 CCM route. The biggest problem I have actually is giving up on my own project. I don't actually need the cases at 22 magnum length -- maybe 22 WRF cartridge length or even shorter since I'm only using a primer for power and only need working room in the case for an air rifle pellet. I guess I'll just keep trying till I give up.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-05-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Supporting Member

Charlie didn't you play with the 5.7 x 28? Why not just run that reamer in short? Are you making your own air rifle pellets or using regular pellets? I thought once that Jamison would produce the Velo Dog but they didn't keep the doors open long enough.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Charlie didn't you play with the 5.7 x 28? Why not just run that reamer in short? Are you making your own air rifle pellets or using regular pellets? I thought once that Jamison would produce the Velo Dog but they didn't keep the doors open long enough.
I caused the problem by using the 5.7X28 brass. The neck is just long enough but the problem is the case body -- if the pellet popped into the body it's all over with. I'm using a german made pellet that more like a cast round nosed bullet at 25.5gr, not one of those more standard mushroom type of pellets. I get good accuracy but I have to be careful installing the pellet that it isn't loose so that it falls into the body of the case or I use too much pressure pushing it in. A straight case would eliminate any problem.

AAron, I'd like the idea of a mini lathe and I have looked into that for trimming off the exess brass.